Editor-in-Chief at BuzzFeed
We’re looking for an experienced news editor to lead our German news coverage, manage a small team of reporters in Berlin, and run overall editorial operations in Germany. The successful candidate will be an experienced editor with unerring news judgement, a deep understanding of German media (and media law), a grasp of how news travels on the social web — and who has experience with and delight in doing news on the internet. We're particularly interested in candidates with a proven ability to deliver big stories, and the editing/managerial experience to lead a team of young, determined reporters.
You'll be in charge of creating original content and managing a small team, including making new hires, overseeing the adaptation and translation of BuzzFeed’s global news content in-market, and being the public representative of BuzzFeed in Germany.
The job will be based in Berlin. BuzzFeed offers competitive compensation.
- Launch BuzzFeed's news desk in Berlin.
- Work with a small team of breaking news and beat reporters.
- Manage the German news desk day-to-day.
- Find the right balance between the daily news agenda and detailed investigations.
- Coordinate coverage with BuzzFeed’s other news desks around the world.
- Be a tireless watchdog for quality and accuracy.
- Edit copy.
- Set a clear, sharp editorial news agenda.
- Demonstrate unerring news judgement.
- Ensure our team does original, ground-breaking reporting. Be ambitious!
- Set the news agenda, publishing reporting that competitors have to follow.
- Interrogate the data: assessing performance via numbers is a secondary concern to ensuring reporting has impact, but we have lots to learn from data analysis.
- Maintain focus on accuracy to build credibility of BuzzFeed News brand.
- Extensive newsroom experience at a senior level.
- Experience dealing with the complexities of a big breaking news story.
- Desire to make BuzzFeed News impactful, innovative and distinctive in the German market.
- Fascination with how ideas travel on the social web.
- Deep familiarity with German publishing law.
- Obsessive and excited about the internet.
- A love for both the serious and the silly.
- Strong social media verification skills.
- Gift for powerful headlines.
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 18 cities around the world and more than 1300 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more. We infuse hard work and fun though a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, humble confidence, and infusing hard work and fun. As an employee, you’ll enjoy perks like office events, snacks, career development courses, and no work on your birthday! But most importantly, you’ll work with inspiring colleagues to build tools and create content that helps connect people all over the world.
See All Jobs at BuzzFeed
Be a Better BuzzFeed Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BuzzFeed when you watch classes taught by their top employees.