A feel-good story + Big Data & diversity + Being yourself at work + Uptick your employer reputation + Video on employee pay
January 28, 2021
Plus, the glory of midnight cereal...
There’s a wonderful thing about coming home late having not had dinner. And that’s the guilt-free indulgence in a bowl of cereal before hitting the sack.
I’ve been coming to Brazil every year since 2009 and before this year, I never played a single game of soccer in this, the Holy Land of Futebol. That all changed this year when I was invited to come on out, play some footy, pretend I understand the instructions hurled at me in Portuguese, and refuse the beer being consumed, almost simultaneously, at an alarming rate by the other players (I’m shocked I was even extended the tribal offering after boldly practicing an offensive pre-kickoff ritual of my own: yoga).
Anyway, I got home at midnight having not eaten a thing. And I had to feign disappointment at having a real meal substituted for a late-night bowl of cereal (with sliced banana of course).
How’s this related to HR, you ask? You tell me!
FEATURED JOB: CHIEF PEOPLE OFFICER
Speaking of HR, I have the inside scoop on an incredible, well-comped Chief People Officer role based out of a NYC Headquartered company.
Are you experienced leading fast growing startups? Does your experience include building teams that for retail locations as well? Do you want to include this experience with a product that’s designed to level up the mental and physical health of employees everywhere? Something I know you’re already passionate about?
Then reply to me ASAP. I’ll keep it very confidential and give you the added skinny. If you’re a good fit, I’ll stork your profile right on over to the decision maker’s desk.
Last week, I tapped into your inner child to understand what you want to be when you grow up. I was pretty shocked at just how spread out the results were. Artist, not surprisingly, took the crown. But not by much. Only 15% of you chose that. Dancer & actor were the first losers at 12%, followed by doctor, yoga instructor, farmer and operating a catamaran in the Florida Keys (9%). But we didn’t have any astronauts, zookeepers or professional mini-golf players.
This week, a mix of personal and professional. Have you permanently moved to a different town or city since COVID?
*As always, your answer is 100% anonymous, even to me. .
REMINDER: TO POST AN HR JOB, CLICK THE LINK AT THE TOP
Below are weekly reads, watches, and/or listens:
- ATTEND THIS (DIVERSITY & INCLUSION): Conference Board is organizing an event, headlined by Netflix, on the impact of Big Data on building a diverse workplace.
- REPLY TO THIS EMAIL (YOUR RECRUITING EXPERTISE): Brian, our COO, is also the product lead for Finalist, our newest offering that connects companies to early career engineers and data scientists. Brian will buy you a delicious cup of coffee and share it with you, virtually, if you take 20 minutes to sit with him and repeatedly fill in the blank to “I wish there was ____________ to help me recruit better”. He’ll be taking notes.
- READ THIS (INCLUSION): This BBC article goes a bit more in depth on why it’s so hard for people of color to be themselves at work. This sort of content falls in the “required reading” category for all employees.
- READ THIS (EMPLOYER BRANDING): This is a wonderful, still highly relevant piece by HBR on how to strengthen your reputation as an employer. Here’s a nice excerpt: A survey found that few global employees feel strongly that the work experience their employer promotes publicly is matched by reality.
- READER CONTRIBUTION: WATCH THIS (EMPLOYER BRANDING): If you want to know what readers are watching and enjoying, this video from Splunk caught Jessi Greenlee’s eye on the message it delivers around inclusion.
- WATCH THIS (COMPANY VALUES): I found this TED conversation with PayPal CEO, Dan Shulman, quite interesting, as he discusses employee pay, inclusion and learning how to be a do-gooder company.
- ALWAYS UNRELATED (ENTERTAINMENT): In case you’re feeling hopeless on the future of our environment, let this very feel good story about the rejuvenation of a long-vanished underwater ecosystem warm your heart.
Now that I am leading Uncubed Studios, I’ll be dropping regular notes about what we are up to. If you’d like a demo of our employer branding capabilities, just hit reply. I’ll be on the demo (and we can meet and/or catchup.)
Bye for now,
FEATURED HR & TALENT JOBS
Folks, we are making changes. Now, in addition to having this job featured in the email, it will also be a feature on our job board. But it’s gonna cost a little something. $99 for a month listing, which we expect to be an even greater return on your time and money.
So, if you’d like your job featured online and in this email, just click here.
- Temp Junior Recruiter (Nicaragua) – Remitly
- Recruiter (NYC or LA) – BuzzFeed
- Global Talent Acquisition Specialist (Tel Aviv) – Similar Web
- Sales Recruiter (Seattle) – Qumulo
- Sales Sourcer – Contract (SF) – Linqia
- Director, Global Talent Acquisition (NYC) – Taboola
- Recruiter (NYC) – 1stdibs
- Talent Acquisition Partner (NYC) – Barkbox
- Sr. Director of Employer Brand and Talent Acquisition (Cambridge, MA) – CarGurus
- Talent & Development Lead (Amsterdam) – HelloFresh
- Recruitment Marketing Events Manager (Remote) – Twilio
- Employer Brand Lead (NYC) – Squarespace
HR & People
- HR Business Partner, Global (London) – DICE (not the job board)
- People Ops Manager – 90-110K (Dallas – but Flexible) – Take Command Health
- Payroll & Benefits Admin (Brooklyn) – Revel
- HR Coordinator (Oakland) – Everlaw
- Sr. Manager, HR Compliance (SF) – Udemy
- People Ops Internship (LA) – attn:
- HR Tech & Ops Partner (Menlo Park) – Robinhood
Companies with multiple HR Jobs:
Recent Uncubed Posts
33 Companies define their promise to employees + Spotify’s remote work plan + Employee wellbeing + Being an ally + Improve your employer brand
Check out our new look + Office of the future + Clubhouse + Top HR questions to ask yourself for 2021 + Difference between recruiting & TA
Be better at diversity recruiting + Pipeline D&I fails + Unifying your employer & customer brand + Creating remote work boundaries