Must follow instagram account + Creative job ads + Making peace with remote work + Discussing race in the workplace + New laws make hiring harder
October 15, 2020
Plus, a way to decompress on real grass (or your help fixing fake grass)...
TSA (Tarek Service Announcement): Could you do me a favor? Could you jump on LinkedIn and recommend this newsletter to the universe, linking to https://www.uncubed.com/hr-newsletter?
Thanks to those of you who sent thoughtful replies to last week’s email. it was deeper than I normally go and the positive reinforcement is what helps keep me going!
I failed to gather more feedback via the poll, however, as I got the syntax wrong. So, I’m duping it this week (which means you’ll need to read last week’s email, if you didn’t already (and you want to partake in the poll)).
In life news, this weekend is our COVID-rules Footy Fest upstate. The Footy Fest back in 2018 was the start of what has now resulted in my new farm-life up in Bovina. And last year, it was also the place I had my upper lip split in half from a bicycle kick gone wrong (warning: not for the squeamish).
What might this year bring!?
If all this soccer talk has you thinking “heck, maybe I’ll give this a shot,” then rally some activity-starved team members and join me next weekend at the Governor’s Cup on Governors Island.
Why do I keep referencing sport in this email? Well, for me, the parallels with team dynamics are simply too real. Just watch The Playbook on Netflix, where coaches share secrets to building successful teams. I promise you’ll have a fair share of useful takeaways.
Freebie: Before we get to the poll, we have a Post-Prime Day special (jk) on our newest offering (Finalist) for anyone hiring for full time or internship roles in engineering or data science. Finalist curates, vets and delivers candidates to your dashboard. When you approve any of these candidates to interview, you redeem pre-purchased credits. This month, we’re offering a 10 credit free trial (no commitment or credit card required).
If interested, hit reply!
Let’s head to the poll.
Today’s poll: I broke the poll last week, so, this week, we’re gonna repeat (but it does require reading last week’s email).
THIS WEEK’S POLL: As a reader, donating your time to this email, what do you make of the above last week’s diatribe on communicating?
*Please note, your choice is always anonymous. Not even I can see who chooses what.
REMINDER: TO POST AN HR JOB, CLICK THE LINK AT THE TOP
And onto the weekly reads and watches:
- SUGGESTED READING ON JUSTICE & EQUITY: Make no mistake, I consider the opportunity to go upstate this weekend for the Footy Fest, and any other weekend to our new home, a tremendous privilege to find peace in nature. As you can imagine, this isn’t the case for everyone. Here’s a piece from The Guardian on how bad things happen in the woods when you’re Black.
- ATTEND THIS (RELATED): Somewhat related to last week’s email, is this event on creating space for race-based discussions in the workplace.
- READ THIS (FUN JOB ADS): Looking for job posting inspiration? LinkedIn’s got you covered with this piece on creative job posts/ads.
- READ THIS (HIRING CHALLENGES): Thanks to Julie Montrose of Samsung for tipping me off to the news that hiring skilled workers from abroad is about to get a lot more difficult with the new minimum salaries taking effect.
- READ THIS (REMOTE WORK): In this Fast Company piece, Slack’s CEO shares why companies must make peace with permanent remote work.
- ALWAYS UNRELATED (ENTERTAINING VIDEO): This instagram account needs to be followed by you, immediately.
Before singing off, special thanks to Emily Pantofel at MSG and all of you who publicly endorse this newsletter on LInkedIn. You’re appreciated.
Bye for now,
FEATURED HR & TALENT JOBS
- Contract Technical Recruiter (Remote) – ShopKeep
- Senior Recruitment Partner (NYC or Boston) – Brandwatch
- Talent Intelligence Analyst (Remote) – Lyft
- Sr. Tech Recruiter (Krakow) – Brainly
- Talent Acquisition Specialist – German Speaking (UK/Germany) – Cloudreach
- Recruiter – Generalist (SF) – Mixpanel
- Recruiting Ops Associate (NYC, Portland, SF, Chicago) – Gemini
HR & People
- Leaves & Benefits Coordinator (Remote) – Yelp
- Employee Relations Specialist (Remote) – Yelp
- Head of Inclusion & Diversity (SF) – Discord
- HR Business Partner (LA) – Squarespace
- Manager, People Systems (SF) – Rubrik
- Sr. Manager, DE&I Business Partner (San Mateo) – Playstation
Companies with multiple HR Jobs:
Recent Uncubed Posts
Check out our new look + Office of the future + Clubhouse + Top HR questions to ask yourself for 2021 + Difference between recruiting & TA
Be better at diversity recruiting + Pipeline D&I fails + Unifying your employer & customer brand + Creating remote work boundaries
A feel-good story + Big Data & diversity + Being yourself at work + Uptick your employer reputation + Video on employee pay