The Cognitive Computing Odyssey: Nov 2016
Presented by Uncubed & IBM
Spend 2 days with IBM's Cognitive Solutions & Research Team. Travel + lodging covered.
Apply Now. Limited Spots Remain.
Sign up for an Uncubed account
Apply. Learn. Get Hired.
What is Cognitive Computing?
Cognitive computing is the use of technology to process information more like a human than a computer. Its goal is to solve problems by dramatically scaling human abilities.
Cognitive computing touches topics within computer science, engineering, and natural science like:
- Artificial Intelligence
- Cloud Computing
- Cognitive Science
- Computer Vision
- Data Science
- Distributed Computing
- Machine Learning
- Natural Language Processing
- Software Engineering
- Speech Recognition
About The Odyssey
The Cognitive Computing Odyssey is a program for university students, developers, engineers, and data scientists who are early in their careers to spend time with IBM’s Cognitive Solutions & Research team for 2 days this November and December... and explore full-time opportunities for 2017.
If selected for the Cognitive Computing Odyssey, you will:
Travel to one of the following cities
(travel + lodging fully covered):
- Boston (Nov 2-3)
- San Francisco (Nov 9-10)
- OR Atlanta (Nov 16-17, Dec 7-8)
- Have final-round interviews for 2017 full-time jobs with IBM
- Meet developers, engineers, data scientists, and program managers from IBM
- Learn about the applications of cognitive computing in healthcare, education, and beyond
- Discover what it's like to work on IBM’s Cognitive Solutions & Research team
- Spend 2 days with fellow students from across the U.S.
Who Can Apply?
- Undergraduate, Master's, and Ph.D. students enrolled in a technical major at any U.S. college
- Recent graduates from a technical major, with less than 2 years of full-time professional experience
- Graduates of technical “bootcamp” or immersive-style programs (such as Hack Reactor, Fullstack Academy, The Software Guild, Dev Bootcamp, General Assembly, Metis, etc.)
You must be seeking full-time employment in 2017 to participate in this program.
Looking for internships? Complete an application to be considered for 2017 opportunities.
PLEASE NOTE: All applicants are personally reviewed for experience and relevance. As a result, your application through this site does not guarantee participation in November's program.
Meet The IBM Team (aka Why Apply)
Reasons for joining a startup straight out of college usually boil down to company culture, industry disruption, and the ability to have a large impact on a business early in your career.
But what if you could recreate this environment within a global company?
Learn why Lysa Banks, Lead Architect & Program Manager for Industry Cloud Solutions, and Aditi Rajagopal, Software Engineer for IBM Bluemix’s container services joined IBM right after graduating:
Graduate of New Jersey Institute of Technology
Graduate of University of Michigan
And let’s not forget about one of IBM’s youngest go-getters in cognitive computing, Watson:
IBM Watson at SXSW 2016
IBM Watson on Personalization
IBM Watson on Sesame Street
IBM Watson at Work
Plus Meet IBM's Cognitive Computing & Cloud Platform
Through cognitive computing and cloud offerings, IBM is reinventing what’s possible for industries and individuals. They're changing the future of business for everyone by extending the relationship between humans and technology. And their advanced Watson APIs and services, industry-leading research, and hybrid cloud platform are helping to truly transform the world for all of us.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can apply?
- Please see above.
When is the application deadline?
- Applications will be accepted until capacity is reached. Limited spots currently remain. Once the Cognitive Computing Odyssey reaches capacity, all eligible applicants will be added to a waitlist in the event that spots open for the Cognitive Computing Odyssey. Applicants will also be notified of additional job and internship opportunities available through Uncubed in the event that they cannot participate in the Cognitive Computing Odyssey.
How much does it cost?
- There is no cost to apply for - or participate in - this program.
- If selected for final-round interviews in Boston (Nov 2-3), San Francisco (Nov 9-10), OR Atlanta (Nov 16-17 + Dec 7-8), your travel and lodging expenses will be covered by IBM.
What types of jobs are available through the Cognitive Computing Odyssey?
- Software Engineering
- Cognitive Software Engineering
- Front-End Development
- DevOps Engineering
- Data Science (No Spots Remain)
When will I know if my application has been accepted?
- Your application will be reviewed shortly after you complete and submit it through this site.
- Due to volume, you will be notified only if you are advancing to the next round of the application process. Since all candidates are manually reviewed, please be patient.
What if I’m interested in working at IBM, but I have a competing offer deadline BEFORE these November programs are held?
- If we can accommodate your schedule, we will. Please let us know of any competing offer deadlines by emailing IBM@uncubed.com
How are participants selected?
- Each participant is selected through application, coding challenge OR video-response/essay questions (details below), and interview(s).
- Applicants who choose Software Engineering, Cognitive Software Engineering, Front-End Development, or DevOps Engineering as their desired job track will receive a coding challenge.
- Applicants who choose Data Science will not receive a coding challenge, but will receive video-response and essay questions instead.
What language(s) can I take my coding challenge in?
Allowed languages vary by desired job track:
- Software Engineering: C++, C#, Java, Python, Scala
- Cognitive Software Engineering: Java, Python
- DevOps Engineering: Bash, Java, Python, Ruby
- Data Science: Although a coding challenge will not be issued, knowledge of a statistical programming language like R or SAS is recommended for later stages. Experience with either Java or Python is recommended as well.
How do I sign up for The Cognitive Computing Odyssey?
What if I have a question that isn’t answered on this page?
- Send it to IBM@uncubed.com and a member of the Uncubed team will get back to you as soon as possible.