Wireless and Communications System Architect
A³ by Airbus Group, San Francisco, CA
The Future of Flight
Altiscope has a singular vision: to create the future model of autonomous flight that turns it from a dream into a common facet of everyday life. While many companies develop software, hardware and aircraft, it's our mission to be the unifying effort that scales autonomy beyond single aircraft, to thousands or more.
Our team is tackling impactful missions every day, such as modeling realistic future vehicles, working with international governments, and performing detailed simulations to craft an airspace that enables autonomous flight in a secure, efficient, safe and flexible way. Just as meaningful to our vision are the other facets key to solid development such as quality mindedness and an appreciation for infrastructure and deployment.
The unique position we have as a fast-moving and ambitious technology thought leader backed by the resources and support of Airbus (a leading manufacturer of commercial aircraft today) and Government partners allows us to make real impact around the world on what the future of flight can be.
Being a part of this team not only will guarantee experiencing new challenges and learning from them, but also allow you to be a key part of changing our shared future in how people live and travel.
As our Wireless Communications Architect, you will be responsible for building and driving an industry coalition to harmonize critical aspects of the UAS to Air Traffic Management System communications interface. We operate in a rapidly evolving arena where there are often more questions than answers.
We need you to help us answer questions such as:
- What information would an automated system need to know to ensure large numbers of UAVs are safely separated from one another?
- How would latency and congestion characteristics of a given protocol affect separation standards and airspace density?
- What are the effects of sharing bandwidth on the reliability of the communications system?
- What are the tradeoffs in capacity, bandwidth, latency, signal quality, hardware requirements and costs for a variety of communications protocols?
- What level of communication security is appropriate for networks connecting UAS and Air Traffic Management services?
To get specific, your responsibilities will be to:
- Architect and document wireless communications and network requirements, standards and design specifications applicable to a wide variety of vehicle types and mission classes
- Build and engage a group of expert advisors from academia and industry to help you with your work, publish studies and white papers, and generate consensus recommendations.
- Collaborate with Altiscope’s risk architect and others to frame questions for studies and then design and execute those studies.
- Share your findings widely and with non-technical audiences at industry conferences, workshops and events.
- Create a roadmap and effectively communicate a cohesive vision in how to approach this broad problem in achievable steps.
We expect you to have:
- A desire to engage with nebulous problems with no clear answers.
- A solid grounding in the fundamentals of networking and communications, with the ability to dive into technical details and weigh the capabilities and tradeoffs of various communications protocols (from physical to application layers and in between).
- Familiarity with different ways of evaluating communications and network performance using simulations or modeling is a plus.
- Experience working collaboratively with others outside of your team, division or organization, with a track record of creating consensus.
- A background in aviation, aerospace or drone operations is ideal.
- The ability to find and manage external resources in areas outside of your expertise.
A3 by Airbus is the Silicon Valley R&D outpost of Airbus. The mission of Airbus is to make things fly. Our job at A3 is very simple: we seek to disrupt Airbus (and the competition) before anyone else can. And in the process, we are setting out to build the future of flight.
At A3, we execute projects and foster partnerships. Projects are ambitious, risky and time-constrained undertakings that culminate in a demonstration at convincing scale—something that’s more than a mere prototype, but somewhat short of a product.
A3 develops technology partnerships enabling us to work within the Silicon Valley ecosystem to meet project objectives while connecting our parent company to new developments and the talent here. We also strive to partner with different elements of Airbus to serve as transition targets and sponsors of projects that emerge from A3.
Additionally, we support remote work days as well as sporting a killer benefits package. Want a pilot’s license? We can help there with flight training benefits!
A3 by Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
All job offers at A3 are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.
About A³ by Airbus Group
Mission Imagine a world without boundaries, free of constraints. It’s a place to innovate, to discover, to create, to explore. Enter this world with your eyes wide open, with your ideas intact as you journey into the unknown. Dare to redefine the future. We are the Silicon Valley outpost of Airbus, a global leader in aviation and aerospace innovation. We believe that the future is created through episodic disruption with intervening periods of incremental innovation. Our mission is to build the future of flight now. We solve big problems by employing world-class experts and by developing fertile partnerships. Our projects are built on rigorous analysis, novel insights, and commitment to unreasonable goals. Exploration is unsettling, and only when we disrupt Airbus, its competitors, and the entire industry will we consider our goals achieved and our mission a success. Join us on our bold voyage.
Want to learn more about A³ by Airbus Group? Visit A³ by Airbus Group's website.
Jobs You May Like
Teamleiter (m/w) operative Qualitätssicherung
Harry’s, Harry's Germany
Zype, New York, NY
Sales Engineer, Amsterdam
Okta, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Software Engineer - Frontend
Lalamove, Hong Kong
Big Data Engineer (Toronto)
Wish, Toronto, Canada
Web Develpoment Engineer Intern - OfferUp - Summer 2018
OfferUp, OfferUp HQ - Bellevue, WA