As a Principal Software Engineer, you will report to the Head of Software at Wayfinder. On our team, software engineers have a wide range of responsibilities, including software system architecture, moving deep learning methods from prototype to deployment, building sensor interfaces, designing and implementing perception algorithms, and more. You will contribute to all levels of testing, from unit tests to hardware-in-loop simulation tests to flight tests. As a Principal Software Engineer you are also expected to take ownership of a key piece of our project and provide technical leadership across Wayfinder. Good software is the key to what we do, and your job is to make sure we get it right.
- Design, implement, and ship code for Wayfinder’s core products
- Work with other engineers to ensure that code follows best practices and is of consistently high quality across our entire codebase
- Provide technical leadership for a major engineering area or product
- Guide software architecture, design, and implementation decisions across Wayfinder
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related discipline
- 10+ years of progressive experience in software engineering
- 2+ years of progressive experience developing software for complex robotic systems
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, well-structured, and well-documented code
- Proficiency in Python and C/C++
- Demonstrated technical leadership and mentorship for a team of engineers
- A flexible, pragmatic attitude to contribute across the project as needed
Strongly preferred qualifications:
- Real-world experience developing production quality or safety certifiable software for robots, cars, or aircraft
- Familiarity with techniques in simulation, computer vision, machine learning, or neural networks
- Familiarity with tools, processes, and development strategy for RTCA DO-178C and DO-254 certification
- Working understanding of physics and linear algebra
- Working understanding of aviation and aerospace engineering
- Daily lunch and snacks, happy hours; social outings
- Exceptional PPO medical, dental and vision benefits 100% covered for employee and their family/dependents
- Generous PTO of 5 weeks (25 days) in addition to national holidays
- Tuition reimbursement, professional development or $15,000 for flight training
- 3 months paid parental leave from Day 1
- Employee discounts through Airbus Tickets @Work, gym subsidy & more
A³ by Airbus is the Silicon Valley R&D outpost of Airbus. The mission of Airbus is to make things fly. Our job at A³ is very simple: we seek to disrupt Airbus (and the competition) before anyone else can. And in the process, we are setting out to build the future of flight.
At A³, we execute projects and foster partnerships. Projects are ambitious, risky and time-constrained undertakings that culminate in a demonstration at convincing scale—something that’s more than a mere prototype, but somewhat short of a product.
A³ develops technology partnerships enabling us to work within the Silicon Valley ecosystem to meet project objectives while connecting our parent company to new developments and the talent here. We also strive to partner with different elements of Airbus to serve as transition targets and sponsors of projects that emerge from A³.
All job offers at A³ are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.
About A³ by Airbus Group
Mission Imagine a world without boundaries, free of constraints. It’s a place to innovate, to discover, to create, to explore. Enter this world with your eyes wide open, with your ideas intact as you journey into the unknown. Dare to redefine the future. We are the Silicon Valley outpost of Airbus, a global leader in aviation and aerospace innovation. We believe that the future is created through episodic disruption with intervening periods of incremental innovation. Our mission is to build the future of flight now. We solve big problems by employing world-class experts and by developing fertile partnerships. Our projects are built on rigorous analysis, novel insights, and commitment to unreasonable goals. Exploration is unsettling, and only when we disrupt Airbus, its competitors, and the entire industry will we consider our goals achieved and our mission a success. Join us on our bold voyage.