In your role as Senior Deep Learning Engineer, Autonomous Systems, you will report directly to the Head of Autonomous Systems. You will be part of a team to design and develop a system that enables the fully autonomous, self-piloted operation of the Vahana aircraft.
Our aircraft will be operated in urban and suburban environments with a high density of static and dynamic ground-based or airborne objects, such as buildings, people, cars, UAVs, birds, aircraft. You will be responsible for the development of algorithms and software components that enable an autonomous aircraft to analyze, understand, and interact with its environment during takeoff, flight, and landing operation as part of the aircraft’s sense and avoid system.
Your responsibilities will be to:
- Design and develop state-of-the-art Deep-Learning-based computer vision, perception and decision-making algorithms that enable an autonomous aircraft to analyze, understand, and interact with its environment
- Implement the above algorithms on high-performance on-board compute platforms within a scalable autonomy software architecture
- Support the validation of the above algorithms using real-world and synthetic data from autonomous aircraft
- Interface with vendors and development partners of Airbus
- Grow with the team into new responsibilities and new areas of expertise
- Ultimately, we need you to be able to enjoy the fun, excitement, and fast pace of A3
We expect you will have:
- Expertise related to Deep Learning for computer vision, perception and decision-making
- Command of C++ and Python
- Experience with at least one Deep Learning framework, such as TensorFlow or Caffe
- A Master’s or Doctorate degree in robotics, machine learning, computer science, electrical engineering, aerospace engineering, or a related field. Bachelor’s candidates with very strong experience will be considered
- Technology savvy and adaptability, so you can develop new solutions that match the evolving nature of A3’s start-up business model
- Personal drive and intellectual curiosity to do what hasn’t been done before, coupled with an appreciation for overcoming challenges
- Good communication skills
Nice-to-have qualifications you might bring:
- Real-world experience with autonomous vehicles and related data
- Experience with the full development life cycle of a Deep Learning related software product
A3 by Airbus is the Silicon Valley R&D outpost of Airbus. The mission of Airbus is to make things fly. Our job at A3 is very simple: we seek to disrupt Airbus (and the competition) before anyone else can. And in the process, we are setting out to build the future of flight.
At A3, we execute projects and foster partnerships. Projects are ambitious, risky and time-constrained undertakings that culminate in a demonstration at convincing scale—something that’s more than a mere prototype, but somewhat short of a product.
A3 develops technology partnerships enabling us to work within the Silicon Valley ecosystem to meet project objectives while connecting our parent company to new developments and the talent here. We also strive to partner with different elements of Airbus to serve as transition targets and sponsors of projects that emerge from A3.
By the way, you might be interested to know that we offer a killer benefits package as well as a flight training benefit, just in case you don’t already have your pilot’s license!
A3 by Airbus is an equal opportunity employer in every category. The data is incontrovertible that diversity leads to better teams, better performance, and better results. Consequently, we actively seek candidates of all genders, backgrounds, and experiences.
All job offers at A3 are contingent upon the candidate passing an export control check.
About A³ by Airbus Group
Mission Imagine a world without boundaries, free of constraints. It’s a place to innovate, to discover, to create, to explore. Enter this world with your eyes wide open, with your ideas intact as you journey into the unknown. Dare to redefine the future. We are the Silicon Valley outpost of Airbus, a global leader in aviation and aerospace innovation. We believe that the future is created through episodic disruption with intervening periods of incremental innovation. Our mission is to build the future of flight now. We solve big problems by employing world-class experts and by developing fertile partnerships. Our projects are built on rigorous analysis, novel insights, and commitment to unreasonable goals. Exploration is unsettling, and only when we disrupt Airbus, its competitors, and the entire industry will we consider our goals achieved and our mission a success. Join us on our bold voyage.