Financial Accounting & Advisory Services, Managing Director
Accordion Partners, New York
See jobs at Accordion Partners
In 2009, Accordion set out to prove that there was a better way to work in finance – and more specifically, a better way to unlock value potential in private equity portfolio companies. In the years since, our firm has grown into a bi-coastal team of 150+ finance and technology professionals, serving nearly 200 of the world’s leading private equity firms out of offices in New York, San Francisco, Boston, Charlotte, and Dallas.
Our mission is to shape a new era in the private equity industry. Focusing exclusively on the office of the CFO of PE-backed companies, we’re committed to driving value creation through financial consulting services and portfolio operations technology.
So, what does it mean to work at Accordion? It means thriving in a high-growth, agile, and collaborative environment. It means changing the way private equity firms create value at their portfolio companies. And ultimately, it means making your mark on the firm’s future – by embracing a culture rooted in humility and a firm-wide commitment to building something great, together.
Financial Accounting & Advisory Services
With the increase in complexity of the business environment and transactions, CFO’s of private equity backed companies are increasingly being looked towards to drive strategic insights for their business. Finance organizations are no longer simply result reporters, but rather, they couple these results with forward looking data to provide strategic insights which are leveraged to make business decisions. Efficiency of process and meaningful control environments allows for speed of financial reporting with increasingly accurate measures, leaving more time for the finance team to add future enterprise value, rather than look backwards.
Accordion’s FAAS Practice comprises of a dedicated team providing accounting and financial advice to support PE backed portfolio companies on a wide range of transactions and events, including Accounting Policies & Procedures, ERP/Financial System Execution, Financial Statement Close Process, Process & Controls Implementation, Technical Accounting, Finance/Accounting Assessment & Design and Finance & Accounting Organization Standup resulting from a Carve out or Merger transaction. We are doers and problem solvers – making sense of complexity and bolstering sponsors’ value creation thesis’s.
- Practice Development
- Oversee and execute on A+ client delivery; Execute services and deliverables around Operational and Technical Accounting; including Accounting Policies & Procedures, ERP/Financial System Execution, Financial Statement Close Process and Process & Controls Implementation
- Work with HR and talent team to organically grow the practice
- Lead, mentor and professionally develop FAAS team members, actively participating in the career advisory and performance review process
- Build team culture and environment for scaling a hyper-growth consulting business
- Business Development
- Cultivate relationships with senior executives at client companies and private equity sponsors and leverage them to generate projects
- Support the business development team with client delivery or sector specific expertise
- Foster culture of growth and a business development mindset
- Act as a thought leader in the market
- A+ Execution
- Provide high-quality consulting services by taking personal ownership for delivering client engagements that are fact-driven, solution oriented and meet Accordion’s A+ Execution standard for quality
- Supervise execution teams, providing senior project leadership and managing evolving client management needs for operational and technical accounting such as:
- Preparation of financial statements, typically in connection with acquisitions, carve-outs, proposed sale transactions, restatements, etc.
- Assist in the in the design and implementation of new accounting policies and procedures
- Assess and improve financial accounting close process; including accelerating and streamlining monthly and quarterly reporting processes
- Establish and document best-in-class financial and operational internal controls and/or assisting in controls remediation
- Assist with audit preparation
- Oversee and manage financial reporting and operational system implementations
- Assess and design finance and accounting organizational structure
- A proven leader, with a mastery of project management
- Excited to be part of a growing team, with a focus on driving future growth
- Passionate about delivering exceptional client service
- Experienced in client advisory on financial accounting issues, and have an understanding of significant business events (mergers, acquisitions, carve-outs, restructurings)
- Knowledgeable about the relationship between Private Equity sponsors and their portfolio companies, particularly within the office of the CFO
- Willing to get your hands dirty in the details of a project while simultaneously seeing the whole picture
- Comfortable managing multiple engagements with tight, sometimes overlapping deadlines
- A self-starter with a strong work ethic
- Full of entrepreneurial spirit and comfortable in a fluid, flat organization
- Able to effectively communicate complex issues and solutions
- A team player, able to work with team members across all levels
- 15 - 20 years of relevant professional experience working in a client serving role at a top-tier public accounting or financial advisory firm, and/or private industry experience at a senior level
- Proven experience successfully managing multiple complex projects at the same time, managing not only client/sponsor dynamics but internal team dynamics as well
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or related field. CPA is a plus
- A strong and up-to date knowledge of US GAAP (exposure to IFRS is a plus), with deep technical understanding of topics such as ASC 606 revenue recognition, lease transactions, purchase accounting, etc.
- Experience preparing financial statements and drafting footnote disclosures. Experience with carve-outs and restatements is a plus
- Experience performing financial and operational internal control reviews
- Knowledge of performing IT assessments and financial system implementation experience is a plus
- Experience working with Private Equity, with an understanding of the unique requirements of the Private Equity consulting environment
- Strong Excel and PowerPoint skills
- Strong client service mindset
Accordion Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
About Accordion Partners
About us Accordion is the leader in private equity consulting, focused exclusively within the Office of the CFO. We are a partner to portfolio operations groups, working shoulder-to-shoulder to implement new mandates and facilitate decision-making. Our specialized team brings financial acumen along with a deep understanding of the pace and rigor required in a private equity-backed environment.