Junior Engineer (Backend)
Acorns, Wilmington, DE
We Want to Help Everyone Invest So we built Acorns.
Junior Software Engineer (Backend) | Acorns
At Acorns, we're building a financial wellness system that enables everyday Americans to save and invest every day. We are transforming the category and recruiting a team that is relentless at fulfilling our mission. The Acorns team comes together every day to deliver a revolutionary product to its customers, the up-and-coming. If you thrive in an environment where you can push yourself beyond all previous thresholds of possibility, come join us at Acorns.
Acorns is seeking a backend software engineer who has a passion for building robust, scalable, software and systems for customer focused financial products.
As a backend software engineer, your typical week will involve collaborating with product and other engineering teams such as mobile, frontend, and QA to plan and create new features and infrastructure to build reliable and cohesive financial products. You will work in Scala, Kotlin, Node.js, Ruby, Postgres, Redis, and more.
You are not expected to have experience with all technologies listed above. We're looking for experienced engineers that love learning new technologies on the job, think creatively to solve complex problems, and enjoy working collaboratively.
This position is located in our newly formed Wilmington office.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Introduce yourself and work with the various teams here from mobile, QA, compliance, securities and more
- Learn about our roadmap and all the exciting new projects coming soon
- Learn about our development processes
- Familiarize yourself with our codebase and products
Within 6 months, you will:
- Offer your first project into production
- Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders across the organization to produce a coherent product
- Be able to work autonomously to deliver projects
Within 12 months, you will:
- Have demonstrated excellence within the engineering organization
- Built services and products that are used daily by our millions of users
What you will bring to Acorns:
- BS in Computer Science or a related field
- 1+ years of relevant experience building and supporting production systems
- Experience in backend development and technologies such as Node.js or Java
- Working experience with SQL and NoSQL solutions
- Understanding of basic algorithms, data structures and design patterns
- Solid grasp of good software engineering practices such as code reviews, deep focus on quality and documentation
- Experience working as part of an agile software development team
- Financial services experience is preferred
- Thirst for delivering game-changing products
- Exceptional drive and precision in delivery
- A belief that your work is tied to your life's mission
- Optimistic about the potential of societal change
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Flexible paid time off
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges
Acorns is the leading micro-investing app in the U.S. It allows users to round up their daily purchases and automatically Invest the Change® into a low-cost, diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds offered by some of the world's top asset managers (including Vanguard and BlackRock). Founded in Newport Beach, Calif., by father and son team Walter and Jeff Cruttenden, Acorns provides a simple entry-point using the Acorns app on iPhone or Android. Customers accumulate fractional shares in one of five portfolios constructed by world-renowned Nobel Laureate economist Dr. Harry Markowitz. Acorns' smart portfolio algorithms automatically work in the background of life, helping users build wealth naturally, pennies at a time. From Acorns mighty oaks do grow.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
- Lead with heart
- Make bold decisions
- Always build trust
- Never stop growing
- Find a way
Invest spare change from everyday purchases into a diversified portfolio. Acorns is the first company to offer micro investing to the world. The proprietary financial engine allows customers to roundup spare change from everyday purchases and invest these sub-dollar amounts into a professionally managed portfolio of index funds. Simply connect any credit or debit card and a checking account, then spend money like you normally do to watch your portfolio grow with the market. It's easy to get started when you can invest any amount, any time with no commissions or minimums. Disclosures available at https://www.acorns.com/disclosures/
Want to learn more about Acorns? Visit Acorns's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Infrastructure Engineers
Shopify, Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto, Waterloo, Remote UTC -3 to UTC -7 time