Android Engineer II
Acorns, Irvine, CA (Option to be remote)
We Want to Help Everyone Invest So we built Acorns.
Android Engineer II | Acorns
- Automated investing in diversified portfolios, built with help from experts.
- Easy retirement account that allows customers to invest in their future in minutes, no expertise required.
- Banking that invests with every swipe, allows you to invest from each paycheck, and helps customers get paid up to 2 days early
- Investment account for kids, multiple kids included
- Investment bonuses from brands where you shop
- Money news and education on-the-go
Acorns is seeking a talented Android Engineer for our team. We are looking for someone with a background building rich, scalable software, who thrives solving complex engineering problems with simple, elegant solutions.
As an Android developer, your typical week will involve collaborating with product and other engineering teams such as iOS, frontend, backend, and QA to plan and build out new features and infrastructure to build reliable and cohesive financial products. You will primarily work in Kotlin and Java.
You will be joining our highly autonomous and passionate engineering organization that promotes a customer first, result driven and collaborative culture. You’ll have the opportunity to further shape and build a strong engineering culture, adopt efficient and practical PRD processes and collaborate with our talented design, product, education and marketing teams to drive growth for our business.
This role has the option to be remote or based in our Irvine, CA or New York, NY offices.
You are not expected to have experience with all technologies listed. We're looking for experienced engineers that love learning new technologies on the job, think creatively to solve complex problems, and enjoy working collaboratively. If you feel passionately about Acorns' mission, vision and values, please apply.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Introduce yourself and work with the various teams here from backend, QA, compliance, securities and more.
- Learn about our roadmap and all the exciting new projects coming soon.
- Get your first project into the Play Store and learn about our development processes.
- Familiarize yourself with our codebase and products.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Take full ownership of at least one feature, from requirements to implementation
- Identify areas for improvement and drive your vision for Acorns technology forward
- Contribute to and evangelize Acorns engineering culture
- Provide insight into Android application development best practices; Support decisions around framework and tool choices.
- Build efficient and reusable Android abstractions; Optimize application for maximum speed and scalability.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Have demonstrated excellence within the engineering organization.
- Built products that are being used daily by our millions of users.
- Be someone other team members go to for advice or questions on services you helped build
What you will bring to Acorns:
- BS in Computer Science or 5+ years of professional software experience
- 3-5 years experience developing native Android applications
- Deep knowledge of native Android applications built in Kotlin
- Ability to weigh and communicate the pros and cons of different approaches
- Experience developing, releasing, and maintaining native Android applications (point us to your work in the App Store)
- Experience building high-performance, dynamic UI programmatically using autolayout strategies
- Experience implementing third-party SDKs on Android (Social Media, Marketing/Crash Analytics, etc)
- Solid understanding of Object Oriented (OO) application design and development, Cocoa Touch design patterns, algorithm design
- Experience working in a collaborative team environment with a version-control system like git
- Passionate about making high user impact and moving key metrics
- Thirst for delivering game-changing products
- Exceptional drive and precision in delivery
- A belief that your work is tied to your life's mission
- Optimistic about the potential of societal change
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Flexible paid time off
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is the leading micro-investing app in the U.S. It allows users to round up their daily purchases and automatically Invest the Change® into a low-cost, diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds offered by some of the world's top asset managers (including Vanguard and BlackRock). Founded in Newport Beach, Calif., by father and son team Walter and Jeff Cruttenden, Acorns provides a simple entry-point using the Acorns app on iPhone or Android. Customers accumulate fractional shares in one of five portfolios constructed by world-renowned Nobel Laureate economist Dr. Harry Markowitz. Acorns' smart portfolio algorithms automatically work in the background of life, helping users build wealth naturally, pennies at a time. From Acorns mighty oaks do grow.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
Acorns believes diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental obligations that strengthen our team. We need a diverse, multi-disciplinary team to build a meaningful company and culture.
- Lead with heart
- Make bold decisions
- Always build trust
- Never stop growing
- Find a way
Invest spare change from everyday purchases into a diversified portfolio. Acorns is the first company to offer micro investing to the world. The proprietary financial engine allows customers to roundup spare change from everyday purchases and invest these sub-dollar amounts into a professionally managed portfolio of index funds. Simply connect any credit or debit card and a checking account, then spend money like you normally do to watch your portfolio grow with the market. It's easy to get started when you can invest any amount, any time with no commissions or minimums. Disclosures available at https://www.acorns.com/disclosures/
Want to learn more about Acorns? Visit Acorns's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.