Sr. Backend Engineer
Acorns, Irvine, CA (Option to be remote)
We Want to Help Everyone Invest So we built Acorns.
Senior Software Engineer - Backend | Acorns
- Automated investing in diversified portfolios, built with help from experts.
- Easy retirement account that allows customers to invest in their future in minutes, no expertise required.
- Banking that invests with every swipe, allows you to invest from each paycheck, and helps customers get paid up to 2 days early
- Investment account for kids, multiple kids included
- Investment bonuses from brands where you shop
- Money news and education on-the-go
Acorns is seeking an experienced Sr. Backend Engineer with a passion for building robust, scalable, software and systems for customer-focused financial products, who loves learning new technologies on the job, who thinks creatively to solve complex problems, and enjoys working collaboratively.
You will be joining a team of skilled and passionate engineers who contribute to our customer-first, results-driven and collaborative culture. You will help advance the Investment Products team's engineering practices, driving further innovation on behalf of our customers.
This role has the option to be remote or based in our Irvine, CA or New York, NY offices. You are not expected to have experience with all listed requirements. If you feel passionately about Acorns' mission, vision and values, please apply.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Introduce yourself and work with the various teams here from backend, QA, compliance, securities and more.
- Learn about our roadmap and all the exciting new projects coming soon.
- Get your first project into production and learn about our development processes.
- Familiarize yourself with our codebase and products.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Improve backend codebase by developing a performant and maintainable backend feature.
- Elevate the backend application architecture to increase developer velocity and drive growth through Acorns’ initiative deliveries.
- Provide insight into backend application development best practices; Support decisions around framework and tool choices.
- Build efficient and reusable backend abstractions; Optimize application for clarity and scalability.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Have demonstrated excellence within the engineering organization.
- Built products that are being used daily by our millions of users.
- Be someone other team members go to for advice or questions on services you helped build.
What you will bring to Acorns:
- 3-5+ years of relevant experience building and supporting production services or platforms
- Experience leading API design and implementation (REST/GraphQL)
- Strong understanding of object-oriented and functional programming paradigms
- Strong track record of good software engineering practices such as code reviews, deep focus on quality and documentation
- Experience leading a team to the successful delivery of user-facing services
- Innovative mindset, being creative from ideation to execution
- Passionate about advancing our society, whether internal or external
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Flexible paid time off
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is the leading micro-investing app in the U.S. It allows users to round up their daily purchases and automatically Invest the Change® into a low-cost, diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds offered by some of the world's top asset managers (including Vanguard and BlackRock). Founded in Newport Beach, Calif., by father and son team Walter and Jeff Cruttenden, Acorns provides a simple entry-point using the Acorns app on iPhone or Android. Customers accumulate fractional shares in one of five portfolios constructed by world-renowned
Invest spare change from everyday purchases into a diversified portfolio. Acorns is the first company to offer micro investing to the world. The proprietary financial engine allows customers to roundup spare change from everyday purchases and invest these sub-dollar amounts into a professionally managed portfolio of index funds. Simply connect any credit or debit card and a checking account, then spend money like you normally do to watch your portfolio grow with the market. It's easy to get started when you can invest any amount, any time with no commissions or minimums. Disclosures available at https://www.acorns.com/disclosures/
Want to learn more about Acorns? Visit Acorns's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.