Backend Software Engineer, Mobile Tools
Airbnb, San Francisco, United States
Who wouldn't want to work here?
Airbnb is the world's largest marketplace for space, and we keep getting bigger every day. With over 100M million nights booked per year and counting, we're constantly tackling challenges in search algorithms, payments, fraud prevention, and growth — all while maintaining a beautiful user experience. To support the rapid growth in our business, we've also rapidly grown our engineering team.
Our team builds tools so that mobile developers at Airbnb experience joy while quickly developing, testing, and shipping high-quality code. The team is impactful and very high-leverage: we work every day to make the entire engineering organization more productive. As part of Developer Productivity, you’ll be helpful, rigorous and quality-driven to provide a robust developer experience for our customers.
Aligned with our company mission, Belong Anywhere, we value the importance of diversity and belonging in the workplace, and that's why we commit to not discriminating on basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
What you’ll do:
- You will bring joy to ~200 mobile developers every day
- You will collaborate with our customers (other Airbnb developers) to understand their needs and ensure the team works on the right things
- You will create, manage, and scale our continuous integration infrastructure, which consists of both cloud (AWS) and on premise resources
- You will improve performance and reliability of local build tooling by building systems to share build resources across our infrastructure (both compute and storage)
- You will conceive tools to improve the mobile release management process
- You will support an increasingly complex continuous integration system to improve usability, performance and reliability without negatively impacting developer productivity
- You will be responsible for the infrastructure needed for end-to-end integration tests
- You will have the opportunity to open source your work, describe it in blog posts, and present it at conferences
Work we’ve done:
- Used Facebook’s Buck build system to improve iOS and Android build performance
- Created and open sourced a platform for creating fast, deterministic UI tests for the Android platform
- Created tooling to automate the mobile release process
- We added support for mixed-language iOS development (ObjectiveC & Swift) to Facebook’s Buck
What we’re looking for:
- You are passionate about automation, efficiency, and developer happiness
- You have a degree in computer science or equivalent experience.
- You have 4+ years of full-time, industry experience as a software engineer.
- You have experience working with mobile (iOS or Android)
- You love build tools (Gradle, Maven, sbt, Grunt, Gulp, Bazel, Buck, Xcode)
- You are familiar with cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCE, Azure, Kubernetes, Docker)
- You have excellent interpersonnal skills and the ability to work well within a team and across engineering teams.
- You are enthused by standards, best-practices and test-automation (e.g., the testing pyramid, UI feature specs)
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter subsidies
- Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Much more...
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique accommodations around the world — online or from a mobile phone. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point, in more than 33,000 cities and 192 countries.