Reporting to Airbnb’s global General Counsel, the Deputy General Counsel APAC will provide direction, guidance and assistance on complex legal and regulatory matters and will have the following areas of expertise: regulatory, internet law, technology product counselling, privacy, public policy, general corporate law, commercial contracts, employment law, litigation, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property protection and compliance. The Deputy General Counsel will have oversight for all APAC legal matters. She or he will be part of the APAC Leadership Team, and will regularly interface with the APAC leadership and also coordinate and communicate with other regional legal heads and business leaders around the world.
The Deputy General Counsel will lead, supervise and further develop Airbnb’s APAC legal function and work to ensure the APAC Legal team functions as a true partner with the business. She or he will also provide supervision of outside counsel and other contract legal counsel.
- Actively participate in the resolution of a broad range of general management issues, incorporating Airbnb’s mission in all decisions and fostering an organization responsive to the needs of the Airbnb community of Hosts and Guests.
- Provide innovative and business-oriented legal counsel and execution of significant APAC strategic imperatives, including possible acquisitions, joint ventures, expansions, product/service offerings and other possible investments, as well as negotiate and structure major transactions.
- Ensure that the General Counsel is advised of any new APAC legislation or regulation which may significantly affect the Company.
- Work with the APAC policy and public affairs group to influence, selectively and through proper channels, legislative and regulatory proposals which may significantly affect Airbnb’s interests or operations.
- Advise the Company on the risks, including litigation, of possible business decisions and offer advice on how to best manage those risks.
- Actively champion Airbnb’s mission, ethics and integrity by ensuring that the Company’s compliance policies protect the Company from risk, comply with all applicable laws and regulations, and reinforce Airbnb’s values.
- Counsel and identify solutions for unprecedented and complicated matters that require consideration of overlapping, diverse and novel regulatory, competitive, compliance, litigation, and business requirements and trends.
- Lead all lawyers and employees within Airbnb’s APAC legal function, promoting a values-driven, highly engaged organizational culture and fostering collaborative relationships among the various stakeholders; and supervision (direct and indirect) of all lawyers and employees within the APAC Legal team.
- Select and implement standard legal technology and systems as needed, in coordination with other regions; provide administrative management relating to the APAC Legal team including budgeting, hiring of professional staff and contract attorneys, personnel reports and administrative procedures designed to maintain and improve office efficiency, communication and cost management.
- Counsel on global legal issues as they relate to Airbnb’s activities in the APAC region, particularly working with Airbnb’s policy and public affairs group to navigate novel regulatory, consumer protection, privacy, and other issues.
- Oversee strategy for the protection and development within the APAC region of all forms of Airbnb’s intellectual property, including its trademarks, trade secrets, copyrights and patents.
- Partner with Airbnb’s communications team to ensure that public statements made on behalf of the Company are accurate, represent the Company’s mission, enhance the Company’s public image and minimize legal exposure.
- Manage outside counsel; establish procedures for evaluating the quality and cost of outside counsel.
- At least 15 years experience, preferably 20+ of practising law in the APAC region and/or the United States, the majority of which should be in “in house” counsel leadership roles within the APAC region.
- Strong experience as a leader building and managing mid-large size legal teams at consumer-focused global Internet/e-commerce companies highly preferred.
- Strong background in litigation, regulatory and public policy matters advantageous.
- Experience working in US technology MNCs desired.
- Candidate must be fluent in English. Fluency in Chinese is also advantageous.
- Strong communication and public speaking skills required. Sense of humor, self awareness, a creative and collaborative spirit, a steady demeanor in challenging situations, comfort operating in a fast moving, often changing and ambiguous legal environment, and a passion for connecting the world and breaking down barriers through immersive travel experiences are a must.
- Role must be based in Singapore.
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique accommodations around the world — online or from a mobile phone. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point, in more than 33,000 cities and 192 countries.
Want to learn more about Airbnb? Visit https://www.airbnb.com/
Jobs You May Like
EMEA Senior Deal Desk Analyst
Human Resources Generalist
Red Ventures, Charlotte, NC
Medical Writing Operations Associate
Bluebird Bio, Cambridge, MA, USA
Senior Accounting Manager
Homepolish, NYC Office
Senior Software Engineer - Services Portal
Rapid7, Belfast, UK
Junior Treasury Manager (m/f) | Hamburg
Kreditech, Hamburg Office