No global movement springs from individuals. It takes an entire team united behind something big. Airbnb helps anyone belong anywhere as the world’s largest community-driven hospitality company. Every day, we connect thousands of guests and hosts online, leading to meaningful experiences in the real world. We’re helping people live like locals in parts unknown while breaking down cultural barriers and bringing people together.
With Experiences, people can see a different side to a destination through unique, handcrafted activities run by locals. All of this is brought together in one easy-to-use and beautifully designed website and app.The Airbnb Experiences team is growing, and we’re looking for an experienced Design Lead to set the vision for our new categories of experiences and guide a team of designers.
Airbnb Experiences are one-of-a-kind activities designed and led by inspiring locals. They go beyond the typical tour or class, immersing guests in each host’s unique world. In 2019, Airbnb Experiences is going deep into special communities with dedicated teams to build out “categories” of experiences, like concerts, surfing, social impact, adventures—even animals. The design lead will lead the charge, building out our practice in LA and defining the long-term vision for dozens of new categories with other leadership.
- Define + launch new categories for Airbnb Experiences around the world
- Define the visual system, tools and communication style for each of these unique categories, from concerts to kid-friendly
- Design systems to help attract quality hosts + guests within these offerings
- Create, test and iterate category specific features + tools in the user flow and help integrate it into the main Experiences ecosystem
- Create a strategy for awareness and comprehension, including landing pages, promotional surfaces, cross education within Airbnb and other surface areas
- Inspire a team of designers to do their best work with an eye on quality
- Provide leadership and mentorship for a team of Experience Designers through the interaction and visual design of products and services from end-to-end, globally and across all platforms
- Partner with the Product Managers, Engineers, Data Scientists, Researchers and Content Strategists to define problems & goals, map user flows, prototype interactions, and launch new products and services
- 8-15 years of experience with end-to-end product design
- Excellent visual and interaction skills —a master in their field
- Systems-thinker with the ability to think beyond the pixels and design for offline experiences
- Experience with marketing and making complex services easily digestible for your audience
- Defines the design process and can lead others through it. Can accurately scope their work as well as their teammate's. Responsible for the work of other designers on their project. Can effortlessly motivate and drive small to medium teams to transform a product.
- Strong communication and stakeholder management skills
- Demonstrated ability to help a team navigate ambiguity, set vision and strategy for global products
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique accommodations around the world — online or from a mobile phone. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point, in more than 33,000 cities and 192 countries.