Director of Operations, Environments Design
Airbnb, San Francisco, United States
Who wouldn't want to work here?
No global movement springs from individuals. It takes an entire team united behind something big. Airbnb helps anyone belong anywhere as the world’s largest community-driven hospitality company. Every day, we connect thousands of guests and hosts online, leading to meaningful experiences in the real world. We’re helping people live like locals in parts unknown while breaking down cultural barriers and bringing people together.
The Environments is a team made of up architects and interior designers responsible for the design of spaces for Airbnb. The team has developed a rich perspective of “Airbnb space” which we leverage to develop well-thought out experiences and authentic expressions of personality for the company, from loved homes to our office spaces. Our mission is to create the conditions essential to belonging, through space designed for trust.
We are seeking an Operations Director to support a new business initiative for Airbnb. The Director of Operations, Environments Design is responsible for building, scaling, and continuously improving operations to support the launch of a new architecture-centric offering. Success in the role requires creativity, analytical thinking, an entrepreneur mindset, and deep experience in scaling operations. Passion for connecting online and offline experiences is a must. The ideal candidate is willing to wear many hats and can offer deep knowledge in building a new business from the ground up. They will have the ability to communicate across levels from specialists to executives and work with a team ranging in skillsets and seniority.
This role will report to the Director of Design Operations and is based in San Francisco. They will be responsible for leading, developing and managing top talent who in turn support teams of designers delivering projects around the world. Success in this role will mean fostering growth as the team scales to deliver on the ambitions of the business, including setting up collaboration frameworks between in-house and external partners.
Cross-functional collaboration + influence with leaders across the Design org, business units and product organization including Product Management and Engineering. Advocate + position Environments to contribute at high-value moments in project, program or product development.
- Grow, manage and lead a team of design program managers and specialists: experienced people manager that has led/managed teams of 20+ people.
- Partner with VP of Environments Design and cross functional leads to develop a business and organizational strategy for delivering design services across a variety of scales and methods.
- Build and maintain a culture of creativity and innovation with a team of designers delivering projects in collaboration with 3rd party partners around the world.
- Work with cross-functional stakeholders, such as business development, product, content, design, marketing, PR, data science, and engineering to turn vision for end-to-end user experience into a tangible reality.
- Define and manage operational budgets. Create projections for scaled plans and provide frequent updates on the tangible and intangible ROI for offline benefits.
- Drive business strategy, including competitive research, strategic analysis, and business planning.
- Drive development of business and operating model, financials, KPIs, and metrics (with FP&A and DS).
- 15+ years experience in global design operations, managing services at scale. Design sectors including one or more of the following; interiors, architecture and hospitality.
- 5+ years experience with in-house design teams, including experience developing brand standards or guidelines. Understanding of the technology industry is a plus.
- Experience with new construction, renovations and project fit-outs. Real estate development experience also a plus.
- Ability to work within a matrix, solve problems and influence cross-functional teams.
- Direct experience building a strategy, launching it, and scaling it globally.
- Ability to clearly develop and document processes, communicate it clearly and get buy-in and support to execute.
- Experience recruiting and building a team, creating career frameworks, development plans etc.
- Keen understanding of others skills. Manages resources to meet business goals and engage team members based on their skills and interests.
- Ability to thrive within an organization that moves at speed and with a degree of ambiguity.
- Willingness to travel up to 50% of your time.
- Passion for Airbnb, travel and the sharing economy.
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique accommodations around the world — online or from a mobile phone. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point, in more than 33,000 cities and 192 countries.
Want to learn more about Airbnb? Visit Airbnb's website.
Jobs You May Like
Wire Stone - Copy Director - Sacramento, CA
Accenture, CA - Sacramento, USA
Visual Product Designer
Mixpanel, San Francisco
Freelance Visual Designers
Interbrand, New York, NY
Senior User Researcher
Instacart, San Francisco, CA
User Experience Designer
Lead Product Designer