Director of Trust Engineering
Airbnb, San Francisco, California, United States
Who wouldn't want to work here?
Director, Trust Engineering
Are you interested in working with some of the best minds and making a difference in the lives of hundreds of millions of people? Are you passionate about helping Airbnb achieve our mission to create a world where anyone can belong anywhere?
Airbnb exists to create a world that is smaller, where you can go to any community and someone says, “Welcome to my home"; where home isn’t just a house, but any community to which you belong. A world where every door is unlocked and every host treats you like family. Where every city is a village and every block a community. In this world, we can become anything we want. This is the magical world of Airbnb!
Founded in 2008, Airbnb is a global travel community that offers magical end-to-end trips, including where you stay, what you do and the people you meet. Airbnb uniquely leverages technology to economically empower millions of people around the world to unlock and monetize their spaces, passions and talents to become hospitality entrepreneurs. Airbnb’s accommodation marketplace offers access to millions of places to stay in more than 191 countries, from apartments and villas to castles, treehouses and B&Bs. With Experiences, people can see a different side to a destination through unique, handcrafted activities run by locals, while a partnership with Resy provides access to the best local restaurants in selected countries. All of this is brought together in one easy-to-use and beautifully designed website and app.
Trust at Airbnb:
“Airbnb’s real innovation is not online rentals. It’s ‘trust.’ It created a framework of trust that has made tens of thousands of people comfortable renting rooms in their homes to strangers.”
Everyone at Airbnb thinks about trust, but our team obsesses over it daily. At the core of trust is safety, and thus we spend a significant amount of our time and energy keeping the community safe. The Trust team is responsible for protecting our community and platform from fraud while also ensuring our hosts, guests, homes, and experiences meet our high standards. We also think about complex topics like identity and reputation to ensure that every interaction with Airbnb helps build trust in us and our community. Trust Engineering is responsible for the technology vision and development of a complex stack that runs on every key interaction on the platform.
Director, Trust Engineering Role:
- Reports directly to the CSO, Head of Trust Engineering and Data Science.
- Managing engineering for Trust; team will grow to over 150 in 2020; currently at 100.
- Trust is organized into three broad groups, each with multiple subteams:
- Defense: Responsible for protecting our community. Consists of teams defending against online fraud like chargebacks and fake inventory as well as offline risk like property damage.
- Growth: Responsible for building trust in Airbnb by growing good behavior on our platform. Teams cover areas like identity verification, signup, login, and profiles.
- Infrastructure: Builds common systems useful across all of Trust or Airbnb like operational tools and machine learning platforms.
For this role, we value Technology Leaders who have:
- 15+ years of technology work experience and 10+ technical management experience (leading both individual contributors and managers).
- Demonstrated excellence working on trust and safety, risk and fraud mitigation, identity, infrastructure, and/or machine learning.
- Demonstrated success partnering cross-functionally with product management, design, and/or operational teams.
- Exceptional architecture abilities and experience with design patterns of large, high-scale applications.
- Strong analytical skills -- comfortable diving into and understanding large amounts of data.
- Track record in partnering with recruiting to build incredible technology teams.
- Actively coached and mentored both individual contributors and managers in their careers.
- Independently started self-sustaining teams.
- Consistently made culture choices that positively impact their organizations.
- Shipped several large scale projects with multiple dependencies across teams.
- Calm, reliable leader who can manage effectively through crisis.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; comfortable in front of senior executives.
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique accommodations around the world — online or from a mobile phone. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point, in more than 33,000 cities and 192 countries.