Staff Technical Program Manager, Data Governance
Airbnb, San Francisco
Who wouldn't want to work here?
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
About the Staff Technical Program Manager, Data Governance
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where people can Belong Anywhere. As we grow to achieve that mission, we’re looking to add a technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Technical Program Manager (TPM) to the team.
Great data is critical for Airbnb’s success. It is required to fuel the entire company’s innovation & operations. This person will deliver crucial programs to improve our data governance maturity. We are looking for candidates who share our passion for tackling complexity, and delivering predictable and consistent results. This person should have a strong sense of ownership and ability to think and work strategically with stakeholders.
See our Data Science & Data Platform Engineering Medium Blog at
- Lead decision making related to Data Governance across a cross-functional stakeholder group including Data Privacy, Finance, Legal, Engineering, and Data Science
- Lead the development of Data Governance best practices across the data life cycle, from creation to deletion
- Guide design & implementation of tools necessary to enforce best practices, including data classification, data cataloging, metadata, and policy enforcement
- Represent Data Governance in periodic data security audits
- Evolve data access, retention, privacy and compliance policies and associated enforcement mechanisms
- Manage and continuously optimize delivery activities and processes by ensuring effective prioritization / trade-offs against an overall strategy and organizational constraints
- Simplify solutions that build with the long term in mind
- Maintain urgency by ensuring there is strong collaboration within multiple parts of the organization who may have competing priorities.
- Quickly drive conversations toward productive solutions by including the right stakeholders, weighing pros/cons, business needs, and timelines for masterful execution and delivery.
- Drive company-wide strategic initiatives with efficiency and speed
- 10 years technical project/program management or relevant experience
- Experience leading programs involving scalable, reliable big data, streaming, and data analytics platforms
- Demonstrated ability to work through ambiguity to detailed solutions. You can take a vague problem, crisply frame the challenge, identify a path forward, and drive an initiative over the finish-line.
- Self-motivated, proactive and proven ability to adapt well and work with teams having different operating cadences.
- Sound business judgment, a proven ability to influence others, strong analytical skills, and a track record of taking ownership, leading data driven analyses, and influencing results
- Experience developing processes where little exists, and demonstrated flexibility to get things done.
- Detail-oriented and able to understand the bigger picture by using your technical expertise and problem solving abilities to prioritize and manage blocking issues.
- Experience working in a highly cross-functional environment where communication with multiple functions (Legal, Product, Engineering, Data Science) is imperative.
- Experience working with both online and offline systems
- Ability to ramp up quickly and learn new technologies with minimal lag time.
- Excellent written and oral business communication and people skills, with the ability to influence stakeholders.
Candidate Privacy Notice
If you are a California resident, learn about what personal information we collect about you and how we use it here.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique accommodations around the world — online or from a mobile phone. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point, in more than 33,000 cities and 192 countries.
Want to learn more about Airbnb? Visit Airbnb's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one