Staff Software Engineer, Machine Learning (Traffic)
Airbnb, San Francisco
Who wouldn't want to work here?
We are looking for a ML Engineer to join the Customer Growth team in Growth and Traffic. In this role, you’ll have the opportunity to build a portfolio of reusable and scalable ML models that help improve customer engagement via email, push and other outbound messaging platforms. This will be done through collaborating with various teams in Airbnb incl search infra, search relevance, teams within G&T to build and improve personalization for content, send time and targeting.
Responsibilities & Expectations
- Work with large scale user behavioral data to build ML products, examples include but not limited to :
- Targeting models that help identify key user segments that can be used to optimize engagement with a user (ex. booking intent, user engagement rate predictions)
- Content optimization models that identify right content to showcase to the user (ex. Personalize and Rank content sections in an email/ landing page)
- Support omni-channel engagement by identifying the right channel and right time to engage with users.
- Collaborate closely with PM and Data Scientists to identify opportunities for business impact, leverage data to quantify outcome and participate in planning ML strategy and roadmap for the team.
- Work closely with product and infra engineers to understand, refine, and prioritize requirements for shared machine learning models
- Leverage third-party ML tools and in-house models & infrastructure, or build new ML systematic solutions tailored to Airbnb problems
- Hands on development, productionize and operate ML models and pipelines at scale, including both batch and real-time use cases
- Improve quality of existing ML models and infrastructure.
- Develop scalable, reliable distributed systems.
- Lead projects and mentor junior engineers
- 10+ years of industry experience or a PhD + 6 years relevant industry experience
- Experience developing machine learning models at scale from inception to impact
- Strong coding skills in Python/Java/Scala or equivalent
- Experience with C++, Spark a plus
- Solid understanding of engineering best practices and complexities of models in production
- Exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale software applications (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms, models)
- Experience with test driven development, familiar with A/B testing, incremental delivery and deployment.
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Much more...
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique accommodations around the world — online or from a mobile phone. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point, in more than 33,000 cities and 192 countries.
Want to learn more about Airbnb? Visit Airbnb's website.
The project management platform built for software development teams