Staff Software Engineer, Site Reliability Engineering
Airbnb, San Francisco, CA
Who wouldn't want to work here?
Site Reliability Engineering at Airbnb:
Site Reliability Engineers (SREs) are responsible for the overall performance and reliability of Airbnb's infrastructure and products. SREs design and implement the tools that automate building reliable and performant systems.
What makes Site Reliability Engineering different at Airbnb?
- We emphasize building tools over manual processes. We create, not operate. Things should go from repeatable to automated quickly
- We're rooted in open source (http://airbnb.io/) and give as much back to the community as possible with both new and contributions to existing projects
- Our job is to focus on building reliable infrastructure and tools for our product teams so that they can focus on solving user problems and new features, not reinventing platforms
- SREs don't sit on the other side of the tossing fence -- we're a first class engineering citizen and help lead our infrastructure focus
What are some examples of Site Reliability Engineering work at Airbnb?
- Develop self service tooling to allow product engineering teams to efficiently utilize resources when launching applications in our Kubernetes clusters
- Develop an AWS Cost Attribution framework that allows teams to understand
- Work with product engineering teams on design and implementation choices of large scale distributed systems
- Automate as much as humanly possible and always configure as code
- Bring ideas to life (i.e. production) to help make the lives of engineers better
- Predict our future failures and work proactively to mitigate them
- Advocate and implement reliable design patterns (circuit breakers, graceful degradation, etc.)
Some examples of SRE projects are:
- Working on our next generation internal platform for efficiently automating our AWS infrastructure for ease of use by our product engineers
- Automating our alerts configuration tool for Datadog to work with dynamic thresholds
- Optica, a tool for keeping track of nodes in an infrastructure
- Building automation around determining the causation and correlation of events in our infrastructure
The following experience is relevant to us:
- 7+ years of industry experience
- Knowledge of AWS services
- Experience bringing software to production at high scale
- The knack for writing, clean, readable, maintainable code
- An eye for automation and instrumentation
- The ability to decompose complex systems and find failure scenarios
- Great communication skills
- Contributions to open source software
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Apple equipment
- Commuter Subsidies
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique accommodations around the world — online or from a mobile phone. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point, in more than 33,000 cities and 192 countries.
Want to learn more about Airbnb? Visit Airbnb's website.
High-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos