Senior Backend Engineer, HotelTonight
Airbnb, San Francisco, United States
Who wouldn't want to work here?
Senior Backend Engineer, HotelTonight
Airbnb is one of the world’s largest marketplaces for unique, authentic places to stay and things to do, offering over 7 million accommodations and 40,000 handcrafted activities, all powered by local hosts. As an economic empowerment engine, Airbnb has helped millions of hospitality entrepreneurs monetize their spaces and their passions while keeping the financial benefits of tourism in their own communities. With more than half a billion guest arrivals to date, and accessible in 62 languages across 220 countries and regions, Airbnb promotes people-to-people connection, community and trust around the world.
HotelTonight is the leading last minute, mobile-first platform to book amazing hotels and incredible deals. Our goal is to be the premier and most loved way to book a place to stay by building industry leading, delightful experiences for our guests and hotel partners. We pride ourselves on building the simplest and most delightful product experiences from our “3 taps and a swipe to book” for our guests to our unique and most loved Extranet for Hotel Partners.
About the Role
We’re looking for an experienced Software Development Engineer with an expertise in backend engineering and a passion for building a next generation Hospitality & booking platform that our guests and hotel partners love. This is a unique opportunity to be a part of a fun, entrepreneurial, start-up team where you can have outsized impact -- all under the Airbnb umbrella.
In this role you will work on everything backend related including: ensuring high availability and speed of our APIs, helping scale industry-changing products, building security and anti-fraud solutions, implementing connectivity to our partners, and taking our infrastructure to the next level. Our tech stack is built on Ruby/Rails, AWS, Terraform, Docker, Kafka, MySQL, Postgres and more.
- Job Responsibilities
- Own and deliver guest & hotel partner facing features
- Ensure high availability, scalability and speed of our backend
- Evaluating, identifying & defining improvements to the existing infrastructure
- Be the engineering lead on projects, working from ideation to implementation to rollout
- Work with engineers across other teams to maintain the integrity and reliability of the HotelTonight platform
- Participate in on-call rotation to continue to meet our critical SLAs
- Evaluate and experiment with new technologies and techniques that can be added to our tech stack
- Mentor and support other engineers in the team and related teams
- 5+ years experience with Rails or similar web application frameworks
- Problem solver - able to evaluate technical approaches to problems and provide viable alternative solutions
- Communicator - clearly and effectively communicate with senior stakeholders
- Experience working with relational databases (MySQL, Postgres) and key/value stores
- Experience with scaling and maintaining high-traffic production systems in previous positions
- Experience with server driven UI architectures, patterns, and API design
- Strong project scoping and project management skills
- Ability to mentor junior developers
- Competitive salaries
- Quarterly employee travel coupon
- Paid time off
- Medical, dental, & vision insurance
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Fitness Discounts
- 401K matching
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Commuter Subsidies
- Last-mile monthly stipend (when offices are open again)
- Community Involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
- Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
- Wellness benefits (Headspace subscription, mental health days, counseling sessions, wellness reimbursement, and more)
- Much more..
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique accommodations around the world — online or from a mobile phone. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point, in more than 33,000 cities and 192 countries.
Want to learn more about Airbnb? Visit Airbnb's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one
Jobs You May Like
Associate Director, Operational Excellence & Project Management
Bluebird Bio, Durham, North Carolina, United States