Color and Material Designer (Contract)
Airbnb, San Francisco, California
Who wouldn't want to work here?
** An online portfolio is required to apply **
Samara is a design studio at Airbnb exploring new attitudes towards sharing and trust through hardware and software. This role is responsible for shaping the design of a product within Samara. Learn more about Samara here: samara.airbnb.com
We’re looking for someone with curiosity and passion about materials science and advanced manufacturing processes: how things feel, how they interact, how they age, how they adapt. We are looking for someone who’d be curious about local cultures, traditions, materials and products.
- Develop concepts and prototype design of colors, materials and finishes
- Develop custom patterns and combinations of different materials, colors, finishes
- Work closely with industrial designers, engineers, and suppliers
- Source materials of all kinds to demo and build prototypes
- Track trends and apply the information toward advanced materials and designs
- Develop and manage CMF material library
- 3+ years CMF experience and evidence of exceptional ability
- Expertise working with various textiles and trims
- Expertise working with solid materials
- Hands-on prototyping skills
- Expertise and understanding of manufacturing processes and materials
- Exceptional visualization and presentation skills
- Great attention to detail
- Experience in fashion or automotive industries is preferable
- Proficient in Photoshop, Illustrator and Microsoft Office
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique accommodations around the world — online or from a mobile phone. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point, in more than 33,000 cities and 192 countries.