Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Head of Engineering, HotelTonight
Launched in 2011 and acquired by Airbnb in 2019, HotelTonight is a stand-alone hotel-booking service focused on making last-minute trips easy and fun, offering travelers seamless booking and exceptional deals at top hotels. Through features such as Daily Drop, personalized daily hotel deals, HotelTonight uses innovation to enable travelers to plan less and live more, while providing hotels new ways to sell inventory.
This role is responsible for leading the HotelTonight engineering team, and will be driving the product and technical strategy for all of HotelTonight which includes guest facing mobile apps, Hotel facing apps and the entire tech stack from presentation, multi-tier architecture to underlying infrastructure. This person will be part of the HotelTonight leadership team and will work closely cross functionally to set and execute the business and product strategy and roadmap.
This is a unique opportunity to be a part of a fun, entrepreneurial, start-up team where you can have outsized impact -- all under the Airbnb umbrella.
- Collaborate with the cross functional leadership team to develop a roadmap and key metrics for executing the HotelTonight product strategy.
- Define the roadmap for technology architecture required to execute product vision and integrate into the product roadmap.
- Own communicating business strategy and how that translates to technical strategy within the engineering organization
- Own translating and communicating technical strategy as it relates to executing against business objectives as part of the senior leadership team.
- Build and articulate the framework for making decisions around buy vs. build tech decisions
- Determine hiring needs to execute against product roadmap and scale the engineering team, driving a recruiting strategy from your personal network, the team's network and the recruiting team
- Mentor and coach engineers, and create growth opportunities for your team members.
- Champion engineering excellence, establishing key metrics, and driving continuous operational improvements.
Desired Skills & Capabilities:
- Seasoned engineering leader with experience scaling and leading engineering teams.
- Ability to partner with business stakeholders and manage up
- Care deeply about the customer experience and journey
- Technical credibility; Able to gain respect of team based on their tech chops and/or prior career wins
- Strong people development and influencing skills; able to build and drive distributed teams
- Inspiring leader who can work entrepreneurially and in collaboration with others to accomplish goals
- Self-starter who enjoys working in a fast-paced, collaborative, and innovative high-growth environment
- Strong strategic and critical thinking skills with the ability to pivot quickly from strategy to execution
- 10+ years experience leading technology teams with a proven track record of creating and leading high performing teams.
- Experience leading product engineering teams building customer facing products (including mobile apps).
- Experience with scaling and maintaining high-traffic production systems.
- Experience with server driven UI architectures, API design and architecture patterns.
- Experience in ecommerce, marketplaces preferred.
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique accommodations around the world — online or from a mobile phone. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point, in more than 33,000 cities and 192 countries.
Want to learn more about Airbnb? Visit Airbnb's website.
Birchbox is changing the way consumers discover and purchase beauty, and lifestyle products.