Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Airbnb’s public policy team exists to further the interests of our community of hosts and guests with politicians, regulators, opinion leaders and others who shape the political and legal context for our business, helping them to understand the significant social and economic contributions of our platform. Across the EMEA region, we are engaged in well over a hundred local conversations and negotiations with governments big and small. We engage governments at local, regional and national levels directly and also use innovative advocacy and partnership strategies that actively involve our community and our stakeholders in making the case for fair, progressive home sharing rules.
We organise ourselves in integrated campaign groups, drawing on a wide range of tools and disciplines - from detailed policy and government relations work, through high-impact partnerships, proactive media relations, community organising, digital platforms and content, polling, and innovative data science and research. We use the combined might of these disciplines to progress our overall policy agenda.
We are looking for a Public Policy Manager to support our campaigns across Italy and Southeast Europe. This role is a key member of the multi-skilled campaign team, helping to define policy goals and positions and implement them and developing strategic partnerships, working alongside other functional experts who support those goals through content, community engagement and media relations.
This role will report to the Campaign Lead for Southern Europe, and will work as part of an integrated team covering Italy, Greece and a range of other countries in the region.
In this role you must be skilled in policy engagement with a wide variety of external stakeholders especially at national level but also at regional and local level - able to work proactively with municipalities to help stakeholders understand the contribution of the collaborative economy to sustainable tourism.
The ideal candidate will be passionate about Airbnb’s mission, and have proven experience in regulatory, tax and political work in a relevant business or non-governmental organisation, or in a political, governmental or regulatory context.
Frequent travel within Italy (and sometimes to Southeast European countries) should be expected, along with occasional travel within Europe and to our global headquarters in San Francisco.
- Support the Campaign Lead in developing political strategies and priorities, advise on local needs, plan relevant activities and design policy positions across these geographies;
- Identify partnership opportunities - new potential partners and partnerships programmes - work with partners to develop MOU’s, work with internal teams to deliver on partner MOU’s and maintain partner/stakeholder relationships;
- Establish new and maintain existing relationships with an extensive network of contacts in the national government;
- Act as Airbnb’s representative in meetings with government and political stakeholders, in coalitions and collaborations to advance Airbnb’s advocacy initiatives, including crafting and negotiating language for legislation, drafting comments on administrative registrations, and authoring issue briefs and position papers;
- Advise Airbnb’s teams on public policy matters to guide development of products, services and policies and manage the operational implementation of national policy proposals and legislative measures, working with colleagues in our legal and California-based product teams;
- Engage in research, writing and other activities to provide analysis and critical thinking on developments affecting Airbnb’s priorities;
- Monitor legislation and regulatory matters and advise the company with respect to policy challenges;
- Manage the public policy associate, planning personal priorities and activities and providing daily support on tasks’ implementation;
- Manage the consultants who provide on-the-ground support, ensuring that they are properly briefed and engaging energetically on behalf of Airbnb in line with the agreed strategy;
- Flag local policy issues that may have pan-regional implications, and work with colleagues elsewhere in Europe and in San Francisco to develop global solutions and approaches as required.
- At least seven years of direct experience working with complex political or regulatory issues in a relevant business or non-governmental organisation, or in a political, governmental or regulatory context. Ideally, this experience has been built in travel, urbanism or technology.
- Detailed knowledge of the political landscape and legislative processes in Italy are mandatory. Some knowledge of the political landscape in other Southeast European countries would be an advantage.
- Proven ability to build and sustain networks of influence across a broad range of stakeholders;
- Experience in managing resources and a tracked record of partnerships would be an advantage;
- Experience of managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders. Highly organised and able to stay on top of multiple projects simultaneously;
- First-rate personal, political, analytical and organisational skills;
- Proven ability to establish networks within political stakeholder communities on local, regional and/or national level;
- An eye for detail - with an ability to very quickly get up to speed on complex technical and regulatory issues;
- Excellent communicator with great interpersonal, writing and presentation skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as a team player in a multi-task work environment while producing the highest calibre work product in a timely manner;
- Self-starter with a good sense of humour and the ability to thrive in a fast moving and sometimes stressful environment;
- Travel required to regional markets;
- Candidates must speak fluent Italian and English. You must submit your application in English.
Airbnb’s office in Italy is located in Milan, and we would prefer this role to be based here. However, we will consider excellent candidates who wish to be based in Rome, but this would require regular travel to Milan, including overnight stays as required.
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique accommodations around the world — online or from a mobile phone. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point, in more than 33,000 cities and 192 countries.
Want to learn more about Airbnb? Visit Airbnb's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.