Staff Operations Engineer, Automation & Observability
Airbnb, San Francisco, CA
Who wouldn't want to work here?
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Driving culture and connection through technology. Business Technology (BizTech) hosts the employees of Airbnb through reliable internal systems, innovative products and technical support that allows for empowered and inclusive progress. BizTech builds technical breakthroughs and crafts strategies that reshape what it means to belong anywhere, delivering greater value to both the business and humans of Airbnb.
Our Global Operations arm of BizTech is responsible for managing production services in the corporate environment. As an Automation Engineer in this team, you will focus on increasing operational efficacy for existing tools and processes through automation. You will partner with the Operations Architect and Observability Engineer to engineer solutions to anticipate and resolve issues in the production environment. A successful Automation Engineer in this role would have experiences in Site Reliability Engineering and Observability development.
- Identify, evaluate and eliminate recurring errors by implementing scalable automated solutions to improve current processes, operational health, and efficiency
- Drive development, execution and maintenance of testing and monitoring tools to ensure uptime of all automation platforms
- Take ownership for the quality, reliability and availability of BizTech services. To include validation of post mortems, root-cause analysis, and corrective actions.
- Collaborate with different BizTech engineering teams (operations, network, systems, applications) to set/maintain SLO/SLI and provide input in improving efficiency, stability, security and scalability of our services
- 10+ years combination of IT Operations, Site Reliability, and tool development experience
- Strong coding abilities with Python, with a focus on API and integrations
- Proven experience with Software Development Lifecycles including infrastructure as code, configuration management, and continuous delivery technology processes
- Strong experiences with complex corporate environments, including automation, observability monitoring (e.g. LogicMonitor, SumoLogic), network (e.g. Cisco, Palo Alto), systems (e.g. Chef, Terraform, Jenkins, Ansible), applications, SaaS, Cloud technologies (e.g. AWS, GCP, SaaS)
- Experience designing logging pipelines, monitoring and alerting frameworks as well as tracing tools and CI/CD pipelines
- Exceptional communication skills and ability to clearly communicate ideas into business requirements
- Architect level cloud certification, Ruby, Observability platform certifications, Terraform, Chef, Ansible, Puppet, conference presentation on related topics
- BS or MS in CS/EE or related experience
- Experience working with a globally distributed teams and organizations
- Experience in systems, networking or related engineering disciplines
The starting base pay for this role is between $170,000 and $225,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique accommodations around the world — online or from a mobile phone. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point, in more than 33,000 cities and 192 countries.
Want to learn more about Airbnb? Visit Airbnb's website.
High-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos