Senior Engineering Manager - Internal Data
Airbnb, San Francisco, CA
Who wouldn't want to work here?
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where anybody can belong anywhere. Part of our strategy for doing this is to leverage data to build a platform which helps our guests and hosts have exceptional travel experiences. We are striving to build industry’s best Data Engineering practice at Airbnb. If you are an outstanding Data Engineering leader and are inspired by our mission, we want to hear from you!
As the Senior Engineering Manager for Internal Data, you’ll lead a hybrid team of Data Engineers & Analytics Engineers in building trustworthy data assets (i.e. tables, metrics dashboards) intended for broad consumption from stakeholders across the company. Ideally, you have a strong technical background which spans software engineering & data engineering. You also must be inspired by the power of data, and be able to intuitively identify opportunities where trustworthy data can help create business value, either through analytics, reporting, or machine learning.
You will be responsible for the following data domains:
- AWS Costs - What is driving our AWS costs? What opportunities exist to drive more efficient resource utilization in our online and offline ecosystems?
- Teams Data - What teams exist at Airbnb? What assets (e.g. services, tables) does each team own?
- Offline Data - What data assets exist in the offline data ecosystem? Who owns each? How much are they consumed? What is their data quality score? Are they meeting our data governance requirements?
Responsibilities of this role include:
- Develop a bold vision and comprehensive roadmaps which transform our company capabilities through data
- Partner with business and Data Science teams to acquire and maintain a thorough understanding of current and future business context and requirements
- Build & lead a world class Engineering team
- Establish a team culture around engineering excellence
- Lead development of a data architecture for your domains which integrates with the broader company data architecture
- Deliver broadly used foundational data models (tables & metrics) and dashboards and support consumers of these assets
- Partner with infrastructure teams to develop next generation data platform capabilities
We seek Engineering Managers who have:
- BS, MS or Ph.D. in computer science or related field, or equivalent work experience
- 10+ years of relevant engineering work experience in data or analytics engineering, including 5+ hands-on engineering management experience
- Hands-on experience with designing large scale offline data systems for high performance
- Experience with modern batch & real-time data processing technologies
- Proven track record in building and leading incredible engineering teams
- Passionate about understanding data and its relevance to business decisions
- Ability to operate in a fast-moving environment supporting a rapidly growing business
- Consistently made culture choices that positively impact all of engineering
- Demonstrated project management skills
Live & Work Anywhere!
When you work at Airbnb, you can live and work anywhere. You can work remotely, or in one of our offices across the world. We’ll get together regularly to build connections with our team members and partners. We will work with you to figure out the best arrangement for you and the team.
The starting base pay for this role is between $220,000 - $305,000. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as education, experience and skills. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits and Employee Travel Credits.
Founded in August of 2008 and based in San Francisco, California, Airbnb is a trusted community marketplace for people to list, discover, and book unique accommodations around the world — online or from a mobile phone. Whether an apartment for a night, a castle for a week, or a villa for a month, Airbnb connects people to unique travel experiences, at any price point, in more than 33,000 cities and 192 countries.
Want to learn more about Airbnb? Visit Airbnb's website.
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.