Engineering Manager, Data Infrastructure
Airtable, San Francisco, CA; Mountain View, CA
Create, your way.
At Airtable we are passionate about how our product democratizes software creation and empowers anyone to “create anything.” Unlike single-purpose apps, Airtable is a toolkit composed of intuitive building blocks that people can repurpose to create their own applications.
Data plays a critical role in understanding how people use the toolkit that Airtable provides, and it’s also an essential part of how our team makes critical business decisions. As engineering manager for the Data Infrastructure team, you will be responsible for leading and growing the engineering team that builds the infrastructure which enables Airtable to be a data driven organization.
The Data Infrastructure team’s current area of ownership is broad in scope; it includes foundational abstractions for product instrumentation and experimentation, scaling our data warehouse and improving the developer experience, and building tools that democratize the use of data for the whole business. The team works closely with Data Engineering, a separate team focused on building internal data products and data marts.
What you'll do
- Be responsible for leading the Data Infrastructure team as part of the Serving & Data Infra engineering group.
- Manage the team including day to day execution and long term planning. You will solicit new project ideas, prioritize them for impact, and drive execution.
- Foster a collaborative and inclusive team culture. Provide career guidance and performance feedback to all team members to ensure strategic impact and career progression.
- Own critical data infrastructure that enables data-based decision making at Airtable, and ensure the team has the right process for monitoring, capacity planning, and operations.
- Ensure that all engineers at Airtable have the right abstractions to successfully instrument new product features, conduct experiments, and integrate with the data warehouse.
- Define the strategy for how we will bridge the gap between our data warehouse and our serving system, and how we will unify batch and realtime data processing.
- Proactively look for ways to improve engineering at Airtable. This may include introducing new tools or technologies, making process improvements, leading or organizing training.
- Work with recruiting and engineering to source qualified engineering candidates, improve our interview process, and make great hires to continue scaling the team.
Who you are
- You have 6+ years of experience in a data-focused role, with 3+ years of management experience leading an infrastructure focused data team.
- You have a track record of highly impactful work at prior companies, including both as a manager and as an individual contributor.
- You have deep knowledge of industry best practices for the design of data warehouses and analytics infrastructure.
- You understand the ecosystem of data technologies, including both batch and realtime systems, and can advocate for their use in our architecture.
- You are passionate about building and operating services and have good knowledge of industry best practices in backend engineering.
- You are intellectually curious, excited to learn new skills and grow as a manager and as a leader.
- You are passionate about recruiting and growing diverse teams of engineers.
What We Offer
- We have your medical, dental, and vision insurance 100% covered (and your dependents covered at 80%)
- High deductible health plan available with health savings account contribution
- Complimentary One Medical membership for individuals and dependents
- Monthly “Lifestyle Wallet” to use for benefits like personal fitness (e.g., gym memberships, fitness equipment, etc.) to pet care to nutrition coaching, and more.
- Complimentary mental health support via Modern Health Family planning support (fertility, adoption, and surrogacy)
- Flexible and generous time off and sick time benefits
- 16 weeks of parental leave
- Annual Learning & Development wallet to support your career development
- Emergency backup care for dependents
- Access to financial planning and legal support
Airtable is working on the next computer revolution: one where anyone – even without technical training – can create customized applications that fit their needs, build more interconnected teams, and take part in a growing community of people who share what they create. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in San Francisco, Airtable powers teams at more than 300,000 organizations around the world. Our most recent funding round valued Airtable at $11.7 billion and raised $735 million in additional capital, and we're just getting started!
Part spreadsheet, part database, and entirely flexible, teams use Airtable to organize their work, their way. Airtable is growing and looking for talented individuals to help us on our mission to give everyone the tools they need to organize their world.
Want to learn more about Airtable? Visit Airtable's website.
A membership platform that makes it easy for artists and creators to get paid