We are looking for a passionate and enthusiastic person to join Millipede’s Learning Design (LD) team, at AKQA's award-winning interactive mobile experiences hub. Millipede specialises in play- and game-based educational apps. We believe learning should be fun.
The LD team is responsible for developing creative solutions to optimise learning experiences for users. This role focuses on apps for children.
In the role, you will contribute to developing the learning design approach of apps for educational projects, working closely with other LD team members. You will work with other design disciplines to ensure our apps, games and activities are fun; appropriate for the target audience; and achieve the learning design goals for the project. This may include liaising with our art designers, game designers and developers, as well as external subject matter experts. You will also help conduct play testing of early app designs with children.
We are looking for someone who can demonstrate an understanding of how children learn, especially through play, and how that impacts app design.
You may have:
- an educational background and/or qualifications, with
- a strong interest in the use of technology for learning
- a good understanding of play and its role in learning.
Or, you may have:
- experience producing digital resources, preferably apps for children
- UX experience, preferably working on apps for children.
A combination of the above experience is advantageous, but not required.
The successful candidate will need to hold or undergo a working with children check.
This is a full-time position, based in Melbourne. Salary and level is commensurate with relevant experience.
- Identify and/or interpret salient aspects of curriculum or learning-related documents to help determine project-based learning outcomes and creative solutions.
- Develop learning design documentation, such as functional specifications and content scripts.
- Draw on knowledge of learning to advise team members on the suitability of content and designs.
- Review learning content documentation and apps at different stages of development.
- Prepare for and conduct play testing sessions, analyse findings and report recommendations to team members.
- Brief and liaise with subject matter experts.
- Work collaboratively with other project cross-discipline team members, especially game designers, art designers and developers.
Other tasks, depending on experience
- Contribute to learning design at concepting stage. This may include proposing activity ideas, participating in workshops, creating documentation, undertaking research and presenting findings.
- Direct voice talent, check audio files and maintain associated documentation.
EXPERIENCE AND KNOWLEDGE
- An understanding of learning principles.
- An ability to interpret curriculum frameworks and learning-related materials.
- In tune with children and their interests.
- Experience and willingness to work both independently and collaboratively.
- An understanding of the relationship between play and learning.
QUALITIES AND CHARACTERISTICS
- A strong commitment to learning and self-development.
- Adaptable, self-motivated, and highly organised.
- Able to solve problems.
- Excellent communication skills.
AKQA is an Equal Opportunities Employer, we believe that diversity is vital to AKQA’s ability to provide our clients with the best recommendations and are committed to fostering a varied and inclusive work environment. Your race, colour, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability or veteran status have no bearing on our hiring decisions. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.
About us The imaginative application of art and science. AKQA is home to 2,100 professionals in 23 studios across the USA, Europe, Asia, and Australasia.