Director of Instruction 2018-2019 SY
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools, Los Angeles, CA
Where Exceptional is the Rule
ABOUT ALLIANCE COLLEGE-READY PUBLIC SCHOOLS:
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools is the largest nonprofit charter school organization in Los Angeles, serving nearly 13,000 low-income scholars across 25 free public middle and high schools on 28 campuses. In our 14th school year, Alliance has a proven record of success: though our scholars come to Alliance on average four grade-levels behind in reading, 95% of Alliance graduates have been accepted to college—including 77% to a four-year university in 2017. We strive to truly change the life trajectories of our scholars and communities, with a goal of 75% of Alliance graduates completing a four-year college degree. We also value our people, illustrated by being in the top 10% of Gallup’s global Best Place to Work survey. Now is the time to join our collaborative community to make long-lasting change across Los Angeles.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
Alliance Directors of Instruction work collaboratively with the rest of the school’s leadership team to oversee the implementation of the Alliance educational model and its core values. Directors of Instruction ensure that the school’s academic achievement goals are met and that classrooms consistently reflect rigorous standards-based instruction.
CURRICULUM AND INSTRUCTION
- Projects and encourages a positive, cooperative atmosphere within the school and seeks to motivate all staff toward the fulfillment of the school’s mission.
- Shares responsibility for the improvement of instruction within the school.
- Promotes curriculum improvement and ensures that instructional programs and courses are implemented consistently with the Common Core State Standards.
- Works constructively in securing staff involvement and support for the development and implementation of instructional changes.
- Keeps informed and up to date regarding new developments in curriculum, instruction and administration, i.e. workshops, meetings, credit classes, etc.
- Helps coordinate and conduct faculty meetings/professional development on a weekly basis.
ADMINISTRATION AND ORGANIZATION
- Assists the principal in the planning for all aspects of instruction, including all types of scheduling, registration of students, and the development of a master schedule.
- Strives to attain a positive school climate in which students can mature and develop a sense of responsibility, self-worth, and good citizenship.
- Enforces rules consistent with the approved Charter petition, the school’s philosophy and current law.
- Assumes responsibility for security and pupil safety; enforces procedures designed to protect and enhance safety of students and staff, and to promote the security of property and equipment.
- Coordinates the school’s extra-curricular activities and an effective guidance program.
- Promotes the general health, safety and welfare of the student body, guiding, supervising and/or coordinating all student activities to include school related activities outside of regular school hours, i.e. career exploration, field trips, service learning, etc.
TEACHER AND COMMUNITY RELATIONSHIPS
- Assists and encourages teachers to develop and improve their professional expertise through development of a professional growth plan and portfolio.
- Assists principals with coordinating staff assignments and schedules.
- Conducts weekly professional development and team meetings with
- Develops and maintains a positive communication system with the community and is responsive to meaningful input.
- Develops and maintains parent resources and engages parents in volunteerism in the school.
- A degree in teaching, curriculum and instruction or a related field from an accredited college or university is desired.
- Three or more years of successful secondary teaching experience.
- Possess and maintain a valid California secondary teaching credential.
THE STRONGEST CANDIDATES WILL HAVE/BE:
- A belief in and alignment with Alliance’s core beliefs and educational philosophy to prepare students for the intellectual rigor of college and the skills required for 21st century careers
- Deep understanding of the nuances of urban school environments and school culture
- A proven track record of increasing student achievement with a similar student population as Alliance schools in an urban or charter school
- Demonstrated experience working with diverse student populations and leading differentiated instructional support for special populations and different levels of learners
- Expertise in building a positive and collaborative adult culture
- Deep instructional expertise, including knowledge of Common Core -aligned instruction, developing student-centered classrooms, promoting personalized learning, and using instructional technology
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- An entrepreneurial spirit with an interest in innovative practices
- Ability to thrive in settings with autonomy, independence, and high levels of personal flexibility
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build and cultivate relationships with adult stakeholders
- A willingness to go above and beyond to contribute to the success of a dynamic team
Alliance is committed to being a Best Place to Work, where employees find meaning and joy in their work every day, within a culture of collaboration, support, and excellence. Alliance offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience, as well as a comprehensive health benefits packages, including dental and vision. Alliance covers 100% monthly premiums for individual employees or up to $900/month toward family plan premiums.
Interested candidates should submit their resume here. Only candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Alliance College-Ready Public Schools are free public charter schools which do not discriminate against any student, parent, community member, or employee on the basis of actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.
See where our schools are in Los Angeles
- Red Dots: Middle Schools
- Green Dots: High Schools
- Yellow Dot: Alliance Home Office
About Alliance College-Ready Public Schools
About Us In 2004, the first Alliance public school opened at the corner of Western and Martin Luther King Blvd., starting with a small group of dedicated educators serving a few hundred families who wanted something better for their children. Alliance sought to prove that an exceptional education is possible for all students, regardless of their background or zip code. Today, Alliance is the largest charter school network in LA and larger than 75% of all school districts in California yet successfully educating 12,500 students in 25 high-performing, tuition-free high school and middle school academies. Today we have more than 6,000 graduates, and continuing to make a difference in the lives of every one of our students. See more successful performance details in our 2016 Annual Report. Alliance's founding principle of school autonomy with accountability helped build a culture that supports teacher innovation at each school and strives to understand what works to prepare students to succeed in college. As a result, Alliance schools significantly outperform traditional public schools while still sharing a common mission and core values. Today, Alliance supports a network of independent schools by providing operational services, resources, training, guidance, and oversight to ensure that all schools operate effectively and provide educational services that address the individual needs for every student including: Facilitating the definition and support of key educational and operational parameters that are shared across schools. Serving as the charter holder of record and local operator of its schools.
Want to learn more about Alliance College-Ready Public Schools? Visit Alliance College-Ready Public Schools's website.
Jobs You May Like
Technical Sourcer (Contract)
Twitch, San Francisco, CA
Palantir Technologies, London, United Kingdom
Leadership and Cultural Trainer
Andela, Kampala, Uganda
Sales Sourcing Lead
MuleSoft, San Francisco
Senior Tech Recruiter
BarkBox, New York, NY
Director, Human Resources Business Partner
PlayStation, San Mateo, CA