7th Grade ELA and Social Studies Teacher (2018-2019)
Alpha Public Schools, Alpha: Blanca Alvarado Middle School, Alpha: Jose Hernandez Middle School, Alpha: Cornerstone
See jobs at Alpha Public Schools
REPORTS TO: Principal
- Alpha Public Schools students and families
- Alpha school leaders, office manager, teachers, education specialists and ANT staff
LOCATION: San Jose, CA
- Alpha: Blanca Alvarado Middle School
- Alpha: Jose Hernandez Middle School
- Alpha: Cornerstone Academy
Alpha Public Schools is a network of public charter schools serving the students of East San Jose.
Alpha students, families and teachers collaborate to develop the 21st century academic skills and character strengths students need for success in school, college and career. Together we create self-reliant leaders committed to making positive change in the world.
Alpha is seeking entrepreneurial teachers who will thrive in a dynamic startup environment. Alpha teachers have high expectations for all students and a willingness to work hard, doing whatever is necessary to ensure the success of every student. They possess a growth mindset, strong personal character, and a consistent track record of high performance that is results-oriented. They are hard working, punctual, urgent, energetic, and embrace a spirit of self-reflection with a constant desire to improve. Finally, Alpha’s teachers hold a deep belief that all students can succeed in college, and that it is the responsibility of secondary school teachers to ensure that success.
- EXPERIENCED: Alpha teachers typically have 1-5 years of teaching experience in an urban public school and Alpha teachers must hold a valid teaching credential.
- DRIVEN: Alpha teachers have a relentless drive to advance the minds and lives of students in and out of the classrooms. They have a strong sense of personal responsibility.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL: Alpha teachers are risk takers who innovate in the classroom to best suit the needs of students. They learn from data, and act on constructive criticism to improve their craft.
- COLLABORATIVE: Alpha teachers engage in regular problem solving and curriculum construction in grade level teams. They demonstrate strong communication and relationship building with students, families, and colleagues.
- FLEXIBLE: Alpha teachers adapt to meet the needs of students and a startup work environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- Intern Credential will be considered
- Single Subject English and/or Social Studies w/an added authorization
- Conversational Spanish or Vietnamese a plus
Instruction & Delivery
- Design and implement curricula aligned to Common Core standards
- Participate in all professional development meetings/retreats and opportunities to further enhance your expertise as a teacher and leadership skills as an Alpha employee
- Reflect regularly on teaching practice and act on constructive feedback
- Engage in collaborative curricula development, data analysis, and problem solving
- Maximize personalized learning by creatively leveraging blended learning resources and adjusting teaching practices to ensure high student achievement
- Create a safe, fun and academically challenging classroom culture
- Reinforce the school-wide behavior management systems and expectations
- Build on the student core values and personalized leadership training in and outside of the classroom
- Hold all students to high expectations both academic and behavior
- Develop positive relationships with students, families, and colleagues
- Use assessment data to refine curriculum, inform instructional practices, and drive progress towards academic standards
- Collect and assess data from the student database and all blended learning applications to drive decision making around student performance
- Analyze data with families, students and school leaders
What Alpha Offers Its Teachers
As a teacher at Alpha, you will change the educational and economic trajectory of students who otherwise would not attend college. You will significantly and directly impact the success and direction of a startup charter school, and have the opportunity to advance into a leadership role within a rapidly growing organization.
- Competitive starting salaries
- Excellent medical benefits
- Pathways to leadership and specialization
- Frequent instructional coaching and administrative support
- A safe, engaging, dynamic work environment
- Technology needs, including a laptop computer, email, and class web page
- A remarkably supportive staff and mission-driven organization
Apply to work at Alpha:
Please submit your application online
- A cover letter that includes the following:
- Why do you want to teach at Alpha Public Schools? (250 words or less)
- What is your philosophy and approach on student behavior management and why? (250 words or less).
Incomplete applications or those with errors will not be considered. As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability. We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural staff and encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds.
If you have any questions, reach out to the Recruitment Team at [email protected]
About Alpha Public Schools
Alpha’s Story our history Alpha Public Schools was formed in response to a group of parents in East San José who wanted better options for their children. Intent on creating a high-quality public middle school, in 2010 these activist mothers approached John Glover. At the time he was a leader and former teacher in a high-performing charter network in Oakland. They convinced him to help them found a public charter school, one that would help their children acquire the academic skills they needed to go to college and thrive. With the recent addition of Cornerstone Academy Preparatory School (CAPS), a California Distinguished School for elementary students, Alpha has expanded to 4 campuses and created a continuous pipeline of quality education for K-12. This continuity benefits students and families greatly, helping develop long term relationships and constantly building off prior successes to achieve college readiness. Today, collaboration with families continues to be an essential element: all our teachers, leaders and staff believe strongly in quality education for all students. We are committed to using education to transform lives. But the way we deliver an excellent education goes beyond supportive relationships and high academic expectations. Alpha continually focuses on strengthening the programs and resources in place to personalize lessons for students. Now, with data and technology, teachers will have more frequent opportunities to gauge the level of understanding of students each day allowing for real-time support that will improve learning.
Want to learn more about Alpha Public Schools? Visit Alpha Public Schools's website.
Jobs You May Like
Flatiron School, Remote
Foursquare, New York
Training & Development Manager
BarkBox, Columbus, OH
Technical Sourcer (Contract)
Enigma, New York, NY
Chief of Staff
Conductor, New York, New York
Instructional Associate - Web Development Immersive (Full-time Contract)
General Assembly, Sydney