2017-2018 San Francisco Educator - Long Term Sub - Part Time
AltSchool, San Francisco, CA
Our mission is to enable all children to reach their potential.
We are educators and technologists who believe that we can positively impact the world through education. We believe that by creating a platform for education we can achieve our mission of enabling all children to achieve their potential.
We started by opening lab schools to allow educators to explore the educational practices of the future, and then bringing in a technology team to support educators. Together, we’re building an operating system for teaching and learning that makes whole-child, personalized learning possible for students, teachers, parents, and administrators.
In order to achieve our vision of enabling all children to reach their potential, we’re now partnering with forward-thinking schools to impact more students. Together with these innovative partners, we are working to make the best education the most available.
Headquartered in San Francisco, AltSchool is a public benefit corporation and is a Certified B Corp (B Corps are for-profit companies certified by the nonprofit B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency.)
We are backed by many key investors including Founders Fund, Andreessen Horowitz, and Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan’s donor-advised fund at the Silicon Valley Community Foundation, all of who are committed to helping achieve our goal of making the best education the most accessible.
The Education team is at the forefront of pioneering the AltSchool model. Our educators are the experts in our students’ learning, and they direct the personalization of what, where, when, and how they learn. AltSchool educators customize their own classroom’s curriculum, emphasizing both academic rigor and social emotional learning. Educators are also part of a network of professionals who provide regular support, feedback, and opportunities for collaboration. Building a 21st century Education team translates to the opportunity for year-round work, flexible time-off and modern technology to enhance and empower teaching and learning. We also rely on our educators’ critical input on the direction and development of AltSchool’s proprietary technology products.
Long Term Sub - Part Time
Note: this role is for a long term substitute for a group of lower elementary students. The ideal candidate for the role will start in early late February 2018 and s/he will continue working in this job capacity through part of June 2018, 20-25 hours per week.
- Assist lead educator in a small, mixed-age class in the following tasks:
- Deliver experiential, project-based learning activities for the class by using local resources to create an experience that’s relevant and real-world
- Curate individual learning activities for personalized learning time based on each student’s abilities, needs, and learning style
- Determine students’ academic and social emotional learning objectives and ensure that they’re met, documenting learning
- Create and or implement emergent and academically rigorous curriculum in diverse settings for a mixed age classroom
- Partner with parents in optimizing and evolving their student’s whole child, personalized learning experience throughout the year
- Use the resources of the city and community to create an education that is relevant and real
- Communicate learning targets and outcomes to colleagues, parents, and students on a regular basis
- Commit to building a community of child-centered educators by mentoring other educators and making regular contributions to the network, including sharing curriculum, best practices, research findings, etc.
- Collaborate with researchers, designers, technologists, and other educators to design and refine an innovative model for elementary school education
- Prior experience with creating child-centered learning activities, including classroom teaching experience for K-8 students
- Prior experience with demonstrated academic results and/or incorporating social emotional learning into student experiences
- Passion for working with and engaging children in student driven learning experiences
- Belief in fostering children’s social emotional capabilities
- Commitment to continuous improvement
- Entrepreneurial mindset and customer service orientation
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in education
- Prior experience partnering with other school staff members
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Free lunch and snacks
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume, and your availability.
Special School Employment Requirements
All AltSchool employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law and permitted by New York state law prior to their start dates at AltSchool. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with AltSchool would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Please be aware that while AltSchool is able to facilitate transfers for certain types of work visas, we are generally unable to offer original visa sponsorship. Please apply if you'd like to be considered for the role.
Our History For the past four years, AltSchool has been building a technology-enabled network to empower and connect families, students, and teachers. We started by opening our first school back in fall 2013 and, since that time, we have expanded to schools across San Francisco and New York City. In partnership with our educators, our technology and design teams have created a platform to personalize learning and streamline school operations. AltSchool currently runs a network of tuition-funded pre-kindergarten through 8th-grade lab schools throughout San Francisco and New York City. Our schools range in size from 30 to 100 students and offer mixed-aged learning environments where technology helps educators create personalized, foundational knowledge and project-based learning experiences focused on developing the whole child. We’re also building a network of partner schools who share a similar aim of transforming educational experiences for their students. Using AltSchool’s technology platform and the knowledge garnered from our lab schools, partner schools are optimizing their processes and creating their own whole-child, personalized learning environments.
Want to learn more about AltSchool? Visit AltSchool's website.
Jobs You May Like
HR Operations Analyst
SonicWall, Ottawa,Cork,Salt Lake City
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Program Manager
Dropbox, San Francisco, CA
Technical Sourcer (6 month contract)
Flatiron School, New York
Expeditions Teacher - Arts, Design, and Engineering
Summit Public Schools, California Bay Area
People Strategy Coordinator