AltSchool, San Francisco, CA
Our mission is to enable all children to reach their potential.
We are educators and technologists who believe that we can positively impact the world through education. We believe that by creating a platform for education we can achieve our mission of enabling all children to achieve their potential.
We started by opening lab schools to allow educators to explore the educational practices of the future, and then bringing in a technology team to support educators. Together, we’re building an operating system for teaching and learning that makes whole-child, personalized learning possible for students, teachers, parents, and administrators.
In order to achieve our vision of enabling all children to reach their potential, we’re now partnering with forward-thinking schools to impact more students. Together with these innovative partners, we are working to make the best education the most available.
Headquartered in San Francisco, AltSchool is a public benefit corporation and is a Certified B Corp (B Corps are for-profit companies certified by the nonprofit B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency.)
We are backed by many key investors including Founders Fund, Andreessen Horowitz, and Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan’s donor-advised fund at the Silicon Valley Community Foundation, all of who are committed to helping achieve our goal of making the best education the most accessible.
Product/Engineering/Design - The Product, Engineering and Design team - fondly known as PED - builds the tools that power AltSchool’s education in classrooms across the US. We work closely with our educator and pedagogy team to build software used by students, teachers, parents, internal operations, and partner schools. We have assembled a world-class team from Google, Facebook, Disney, Apple, Zynga, Palantir and many others. We tackle hard problems in user research, design, product development and engineer that have the potential to change the world.
As an AltSchool engineer, you will building applications that break the walls of the classroom. We practice co-development which means you’ll spend a day a week in one of our Lab Schools, working with teachers, students and members of PED to deeply understand and design these applications. Whether you are a fresh graduate looking to start your career or a seasoned engineer who has multiple years of relevant experience, we can provide the right environment and problems to solve that match your skills and challenge you appropriately. An undergraduate degree in Computer Science or a related discipline is required.
Full life-cycle development of web-based and mobile applications:
- Writing single page apps with 12-Factor HTTP RESTful backends.
- Planning and writing unit, functional, and integration tests.
- Implementing basic monitoring and health checks.
- Performing code review for peers.
- Triaging bugs
- Doing light relational database administration, such as performing migrations, creating indices in response to slow queries, and normalizing schemas.
- Load-testing, profiling, and debugging your code.
- Architecting scalable and reliable systems, including planning for failure through redundancy.
- Analysis of algorithm runtime and space, Big-O notation.
Our environment is highly collaborative. You will work with a truly cross-disciplinary team in our main office and in our Lab Schools.
- You should be an above-average communicator; you’ll spend a lot of time interacting with product managers, designers, teachers, and students.
- Some degree of flexibility around occasional events that must happen on a Pacific or Eastern time-friendly schedule(s) is required.
Skills & Requirements
Here’s what we’re looking for...
- At least 2 years as a professional software engineer. If you have more, that’s great too
- Experience with the *nix or Mac OS X command line.
- Experience with a modern source code control system. We use Git
- Experience writing backend code in a modern programming language. We mainly use Python
- Experience writing MVC single page apps. We use Ember
- Experience testing single page apps, such as with QUnit, Mocha, or Selenium.
- Experience with relational databases, including the ability to explain how ACID properties impact your design
Bonus points for these...
- A passion for making education awesome
- You love the rollercoaster ride of a startup that is learning and evolving
- You’ve worked in small, cross-functional teams, and that’s the right way to do it
- You’re contributing to your favorite Open Source projects
- Experience doing *nix administration
- Experience doing relational database administration
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
Health, dental, and vision benefits
Free lunch and snacks
AltSchool tuition assistance
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume. We'd also like to review your Github profile or some example code that you’re particularly proud of.
Special School Employment Requirements
All AltSchool employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law and permitted by New York state law prior to their start dates at AltSchool. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with AltSchool would be conditioned on satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Please be aware that while AltSchool is able to facilitate transfers for certain types of work visas, we are generally unable to offer original visa sponsorship. Please apply if you'd like to be considered for the role.
Our History For the past four years, AltSchool has been building a technology-enabled network to empower and connect families, students, and teachers. We started by opening our first school back in fall 2013 and, since that time, we have expanded to schools across San Francisco and New York City. In partnership with our educators, our technology and design teams have created a platform to personalize learning and streamline school operations. AltSchool currently runs a network of tuition-funded pre-kindergarten through 8th-grade lab schools throughout San Francisco and New York City. Our schools range in size from 30 to 100 students and offer mixed-aged learning environments where technology helps educators create personalized, foundational knowledge and project-based learning experiences focused on developing the whole child. We’re also building a network of partner schools who share a similar aim of transforming educational experiences for their students. Using AltSchool’s technology platform and the knowledge garnered from our lab schools, partner schools are optimizing their processes and creating their own whole-child, personalized learning environments.