2018-19 San Francisco Middle School STEM Educator
AltSchool, San Francisco, CA
Our mission is to enable all children to reach their potential.
We are educators and technologists who believe that we can positively impact the world through education. We believe that by creating a platform for education we can achieve our mission of enabling all children to achieve their potential.
We started by opening lab schools to allow educators to explore the educational practices of the future, and then bringing in a technology team to support educators. Together, we’re building an operating system for teaching and learning that makes whole-child, personalized learning possible for students, teachers, parents, and administrators.
In order to achieve our vision of enabling all children to reach their potential, we’re now partnering with forward-thinking schools to impact more students. Together with these innovative partners, we are working to make the best education the most available.
Headquartered in San Francisco, AltSchool is a public benefit corporation and is a Certified B Corp (B Corps are for-profit companies certified by the nonprofit B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency.)
We are backed by many key investors including Founders Fund, Andreessen Horowitz, and Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan’s donor-advised fund at the Silicon Valley Community Foundation, all of who are committed to helping achieve our goal of making the best education the most accessible.
Educators at AltSchool lead work to define and refine innovative pedagogy, model impactful practices with learners, contribute to the development of the personalized learning platform, and expand impact by working with partner schools. The education team works collaboratively to craft learner-centered environments that are enabled by our platform.
Our educators view themselves as learning facilitators who are committed to deeply understanding who each learner is and what they need to reach their full potential. With this understanding, our team guides student learning through a project-based approach. We support our learners in developing a deep sense of self and ownership of their learning. Our educators focus their efforts on both academic and social emotional learning while also attending to individual growth in essential skills. They are part of a network of professionals across our lab and partner schools that share best practices, regularly provide feedback to one another and engage in continuous collaboration. In addition, our educators engage with engineers and learning designers in co-development of our tools so we can better leverage technology in support of our practices. Finally, our educators collaborate with partner schools who are similarly committed to transforming the learner experience.
AltSchool is a unique and exciting place to teach that affords educators the opportunity to make a broader impact in education, and their daily experience reflects the distinct nature of the organization. They teach in collaborative, dynamic classrooms while also being part of a broader team of technologists, educators, and experts working on AltSchool’s bigger purpose. Thus, AltSchool educators are teachers, pioneers, and platform designers.
- Lead a mixed-age and ability class along with your teaching team members:
- Design or customize experiential, project-based learning arcs for the class to create activities that are relevant and real-world
- Curate individual learning experiences based on each student’s abilities, needs, and learning approach to construct and exhibit core competencies
- Utilize dynamic instructional grouping to meet the needs of all learners
- Determine students’ academic and social emotional learning goals and ensure that they’re met
- Use the resources of the city and community to create an education that is relevant and real
- Communicate learning targets and outcomes to colleagues, parents, and students on a regular basis
- Engage in bi-weekly coaching with a subset of your students to support student self-reflection and agency
- Lead an advisory group with curated activities throughout the school year
- Collect and use data to collaboratively identify goals, assess effectiveness, and promote organizational learning alongside colleagues
- Commit to building a community of child-centered educators by mentoring other educators and making regular contributions to the network, including sharing materials, best practices, research findings, etc.
- Build and maintain positive, transparent partnerships with the school’s families by engaging with the community through frequent and rich communication
- Collaborate with researchers, designers, technologists, and other educators to devise, participate in, and provide feedback on pilot experiments related to class design, pedagogical approach, scheduling, classroom tools and more
- Collaborate with our Personalization Leads to support all learners
- Accelerate the collective progress of educators engaged in similar efforts: connect and collaborate with educators at Partner Schools; serve as a thought leader who reflects and shares about the journey to create learner-centered experiences
- Prompt and regular attendance on all school and work days
- Prior experience with creating child-centered learning activities, including classroom STEM teaching experience with grades 5-8 students
- Prior experience with demonstrated academic results and/or incorporating social emotional learning into student experiences
- Passion for working with and engaging children in student driven learning experiences
- Belief in fostering children’s social emotional capabilities
- Commitment to continuous improvement and willingness to share lessons learned
- Entrepreneurial mindset and customer service orientation
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in education
- Prior experience mentoring other educators
- Prior experience leading curriculum development
- Prior experience partnering with other school staff members
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- Free lunch and snacks
- AltSchool tuition assistance
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.
Special School Employment Requirements
All AltSchool employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law and permitted by New York state law prior to their start dates at AltSchool. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with AltSchool would be conditioned on a satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Please be aware that while AltSchool is able to facilitate transfers for certain types of work visas, we are generally unable to offer original visa sponsorship. Please apply if you'd like to be considered for the role.
Our History For the past four years, AltSchool has been building a technology-enabled network to empower and connect families, students, and teachers. We started by opening our first school back in fall 2013 and, since that time, we have expanded to schools across San Francisco and New York City. In partnership with our educators, our technology and design teams have created a platform to personalize learning and streamline school operations. AltSchool currently runs a network of tuition-funded pre-kindergarten through 8th-grade lab schools throughout San Francisco and New York City. Our schools range in size from 30 to 100 students and offer mixed-aged learning environments where technology helps educators create personalized, foundational knowledge and project-based learning experiences focused on developing the whole child. We’re also building a network of partner schools who share a similar aim of transforming educational experiences for their students. Using AltSchool’s technology platform and the knowledge garnered from our lab schools, partner schools are optimizing their processes and creating their own whole-child, personalized learning environments.
Want to learn more about AltSchool? Visit AltSchool's website.
Jobs You May Like
People Experience Partner - Engineering
Pinterest, San Francisco
Director of School Success
Guidepost Montessori, Dallas, TX
Principal, Environmental Health & Safety
Candidate Sourcing Specialist (Client Engagement)
Kraken Exchange, Asia/Pacific
Sr. Sales Recruiter
OneLogin, San Francisco HQ
Senior Associate of Program Strategy & Operations
Obama Foundation, Washington, D.C.