Principal Product Manager
AltSchool, San Francisco, CA
Our mission is to enable all children to reach their potential.
We are educators and technologists who believe that we can positively impact the world through education. We believe that by creating a platform for education we can achieve our mission of enabling all children to achieve their potential.
We started by opening lab schools to allow educators to explore the educational practices of the future, and then bringing in a technology team to support educators. Together, we’re building an operating system for teaching and learning that makes whole-child, personalized learning possible for students, teachers, parents, and administrators.
In order to achieve our vision of enabling all children to reach their potential, we’re now partnering with forward-thinking schools to impact more students. Together with these innovative partners, we are working to make the best education the most available.
Headquartered in San Francisco, AltSchool is a public benefit corporation and is a Certified B Corp (B Corps are for-profit companies certified by the nonprofit B Lab to meet rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency.)
We are backed by many key investors including Founders Fund, Andreessen Horowitz, and Mark Zuckerberg and Priscilla Chan’s donor-advised fund at the Silicon Valley Community Foundation, all of who are committed to helping achieve our goal of making the best education the most accessible.
The Product, Engineering and Design team - fondly known as PED - builds the learning platform. We work closely with our pedagogy team and Lab School educators to build software that is used by students, teachers, parents and school administrators. We have assembled a world-class team from Google, Facebook, Disney, Apple, Zynga, Palantir and many others to tackle hard problems in user research, design, product development and engineering that have the potential to change the world.
Principal Product Manager
Our Product Managers define our products. They work closely with educators, students and parents to understand their needs. They work with our pedagogy team to put groundbreaking educational research into the platform. They work with design and user research to define our new and evolving products. They work with engineering to deliver quality products. PMs are the heart of the process and are responsible for the groundbreaking platform we deliver to schools.
As a Principal PM, you are the critical driver or owner of the end-to-end product lifecycle and strategy across multiple complex and cross-functional feature areas. You develop specs/product plans for your suite of products and are often brought in to consult on large or strategic initiatives, for both product and business. You create an environment where team members are challenged and motivated and you achieve results through collaboration and delegation.
- Work with engineering, design and user research on user-driven product development
- Define and deliver fun and efficient products that have a deep impact on education
- Work with the user research team, and directly with users, to better understand user needs and create product solutions
- Create product concepts, establish MVPs, and author requirements for near/long term development that balance user needs with business strategy
- Own the product roadmap for new educational tools and services that improve user satisfaction, educational quality, and operational efficiency
- Build a comprehensive understanding of the edtech space and identifying opportunities to innovate and improve K-8 education
- 5-10 years in a senior/lead product management role. You know how to develop and grow a successful product, and you’ve made your fair share of mistakes along the way
- Track record of delivering great products in a rapidly growing company
- Demonstrated ability to translate user needs into product requirements. You know that product management is not about giving people what they want: it’s about giving them what they need
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills. You have demonstrated the ability to define metrics and analyse data to guide tough decisions
- You think about features and user problems as a series of iterations rather than a silver bullet, obsess about MVPs, and have an otherworldly sense of big wins vs. micro-optimisations
- You know what it takes to supercharge super-talented teams, and work with everyone to enable their best work
- Curious and creative. You never stop learning or asking questions
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal. You can explain your thinking to anyone and can resolve conflicts fairly
- Experience in a B2B product company. You know how to balance between customers’ needs and the company’s long-term goals
- Experience with user-centred design practices. You’ve interviewed customers, run usability sessions and are comfortable asking just one more “why?”
- You are deeply motivated to tackle education
- A Bachelor’s degree
Bonus points for
- A background in education
- You thrive in a changing environment and can juggle multiple priorities and workstreams
- Demonstrated ability to understand technical concepts and work closely with engineering teams
- An MBA or advanced degree
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive compensation commensurate with experience
- Health, dental, and vision benefits
- Free lunch and snacks
- AltSchool tuition assistance
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please submit a cover letter that explains why you would be a great fit for this role along with your resume.
Special School Employment Requirements
All AltSchool employees must undergo criminal background checks and TB risk assessments as mandated by California state law and permitted by New York state law prior to their start dates at AltSchool. By submitting an application, you acknowledge that your employment with AltSchool would be conditioned on a satisfactory background check and completion of the TB risk assessment.
Please be aware that while AltSchool is able to facilitate transfers for certain types of work visas, we are generally unable to offer original visa sponsorship. Please apply if you'd like to be considered for the role.
Our History For the past four years, AltSchool has been building a technology-enabled network to empower and connect families, students, and teachers. We started by opening our first school back in fall 2013 and, since that time, we have expanded to schools across San Francisco and New York City. In partnership with our educators, our technology and design teams have created a platform to personalize learning and streamline school operations. AltSchool currently runs a network of tuition-funded pre-kindergarten through 8th-grade lab schools throughout San Francisco and New York City. Our schools range in size from 30 to 100 students and offer mixed-aged learning environments where technology helps educators create personalized, foundational knowledge and project-based learning experiences focused on developing the whole child. We’re also building a network of partner schools who share a similar aim of transforming educational experiences for their students. Using AltSchool’s technology platform and the knowledge garnered from our lab schools, partner schools are optimizing their processes and creating their own whole-child, personalized learning environments.
Want to learn more about AltSchool? Visit AltSchool's website.
Jobs You May Like
Insider, Istanbul, Turkey
EE Architecture Hardware Engineer
Faraday Future, Gardena, CA
Faraday Future, Gardena, CA
Senior Product Manager, Core Identity, User Enrollment
Okta, San Francisco, CA or San Jose, CA
Cloud Product Owner
Product Manager, New IP
Pocket Gems, Core Games