Director of Operations
Andela, Kigali, Rwanda
Andela was founded on a simple truth: Brilliance is evenly distributed.
Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, Kampala and Kigali. Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
Andela extends engineering teams with world-class software developers. We recruit the most talented developers on the African continent, shape them into technical leaders, and place them as full-time distributed team members with companies that range from Microsoft and IBM to dozens of high-growth startups.
We have a vision to train 100,000 world-class developers in the next 10 years – and we want you to help make it happen
About the Director of Operations Role.
Andela is hiring a Director of Operations, a seasoned professional who is passionate about building the next generation of technology and business leaders in Africa. The successful candidate will be responsible for executing on strategy, addressing daily issues, supervising staff at multiple levels, and following up on out-of-sync metrics that arise.
Areas of concentration will be around General Operations, Facilities Management, Procurement, Security, hiring/growth and issue resolution. There will also be a level of oversight on both Guest Relations & Travel and I.T. operations, even though these areas of the organization have a level of centralization across all global locations.
You bring more than passion to the role: you are a world-class leader with exceptional operational expertise and demonstrated strong leadership skills. You’re an expert in building and managing complex operations and developing the processes necessary for scale. You know how to think – and act – big, while holding a strong moral compass in everything you do.
Your day-to-day would have you:
Lead all Operational elements of Andela Rwanda
- Lead the running of all operational aspects of the business in Rwanda
- Optimize current operational activities and make adjustment based on learnings
- Oversee the facilities and real estate team, including both office and residential properties to ensure safety and security across multiple locations
- Manage and track daily/weekly metrics from all aspects of the business functions in his/her docket
- Develop and keep highly informative business reports for use by both the Country Director, and global leadership to have a pretty accurate idea on the state of the business at any given time
- Develop and maintain highly detailed budgets and timely financial projections
- Complete quarterly (or more) financial and operational reviews and reports
Provide Strong Operational Support
- Provide operational support to all other divisions within Andela as they would require
- Oversee the building and/or continuous improvement of operational SLAs between the central operations and departmental operations to help them achieve their goals effectively
- Lead ways to automate and reduce time spent on operational tasks across the business
Build strong processes and systems
- Maintain and create highly-structured processes and systems that both rely on and produce data that helps drive business decisions
- Maintain and improve “playbooks,” detailed manuals that document all relevant parts of the Andela operating model; continually update and improve manuals in preparation for supporting other teams
- Collaborate with the Country Director to Combine in-depth operational analysis with hands-on learning to drive improvements across different parts of our process
Manage, coach and mentor a strong team
- Manage all operations staff members including facilities, logistics, and other cross-functional teams
- Make sure that all functional areas and team leads in those functional areas have objectives and trackable metrics that are reported weekly
- Establish and maintain a highly capable management team for each department and monitors their performance against Business Unit goals.
- Provide structured evaluations of employee performance at least twice a year
- Suggest and create job descriptions, screen candidates and make recommendations for any needed roles in addition to the existing team
- Define and execute multiple time-sensitive, large-scale projects to meet business objectives in defined time frames
- Anticipate potential bottlenecks, provide innovative solutions to troubleshoot challenges, and balance business needs with technical constraints
Support expansion to other locations in Rwanda and across Africa
- Make recommendations to Andela leadership about what’s needed in setting up operations for future locations in your region
- Be part of a larger team to design and execute Andela’s growth strategy
- Sit in the Rwanda Leadership team (RX) and contribute to the strategic direction that will help meet the country goals and objectives.
- Influence key leaders and stakeholders recommendations on strategic organizational issues.
- Act as second in command in absence of the Country Director.
The key attributes for this role are:
- Strategic Thinking. You have a strong ability to think strategically and plan for the future. You are able to assess trade-offs, risks, opportunities, and can see the big picture clearly even while getting through the day to day hurdles.
- Operational Excellence. Whether in building your own company or previous experience working in operations at a company, you demonstrated expertise in designing and managing processes for scale, managing budgets, and building lasting systems for strong personnel management.
- Demonstrated ability to build and scale organizations or initiatives. You are entrepreneurial and creative, eager to find ways to develop talent, build a team, and set up a business for scale. You have strong business skills and will be comfortable engaging multiple teams who are core to the success of Andela. You have a natural ability to work across borders to connect with our global team to help scale our operations in Rwanda and around the world.
- Team building and cross-cultural skills. You should have significant experience leading strong teams; and you should be an expert at working with diverse groups of learners. It is also important that you have a demonstrated understanding of what it takes to build high performance teams and a best in class operations department.
- A deep commitment to our mission. We are looking for a leader with evidence of curiosity, and a deep commitment to lifelong learning. You will have demonstrated an ability and interest in creating large-scale change and impact. This could be seen through your involvement in building organizations, companies or non-profits and developing talent in some area that is meaningful to you.
Ideal candidates for this role will have:
- At least 7-10 years experience in operations with 3 of those being in Management.
- Experience managing operations, including detailed budgeting and reporting, in a complex environment
- Proven experience establishing, implementing, and executing operational process in a ever-changing company
- Experience developing and managing a culture of continuous learning and improvement
- Experience managing and coordinating teams to deliver on a tight schedule
- Work and living experience in emerging markets, particularly in Rwanda or elsewhere in Africa
- Record of strong academic performance from a leading undergraduate and, if attended, graduate institution
- Experience at start-ups a plus, but not required
EPIC Values Alignment
Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology
The ability to learn new things fast enough to amaze your friends and family
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Building the next generation of tech leaders In the next ten years, there will be 1.3M software development jobs created and only 400,000 domestic computer science graduates to fill them. Africa, meanwhile, is home to the largest untapped talent pool and seven of the 10 fastest growing internet populations in the world. We founded Andela in 2014 to build a network of technology leaders on the African continent and bridge the divide between the U.S and African tech sectors. Leveraging a proven, data-driven approach, we build high-performing engineering teams with Africa’s top developers to help companies overcome the tech talent shortage and build better products, faster.
Want to learn more about Andela? Visit Andela's website.
Jobs You May Like
Customer Success Manager
Qventus, Mountain View, CA
Technical Support Engineer (Windows System Admin Remote)
OneLogin, United Kingdom (Remote)
Technical SEO Manager
Senior Cloud SQL Engineer
Hypebeast, Los Angeles
Studio Coordinator, Design for Health Studio