Senior Software Developer
Andela, Lagos, Nigeria
Andela was founded on a simple truth: Brilliance is evenly distributed.
Andela is a network of technology leaders dedicated to advancing human potential. We help companies build high-performing distributed engineering teams by investing in Africa’s most talented software developers. Based in NYC, SF, Lagos, Nairobi, and Kampala, Andela is catalyzing the growth of tech ecosystems across the African continent while solving the global technical talent shortage.
About the Senior Software Developer Position:
As a Senior Software Developer, you will primarily work as a Lead Developer for one of Andela’s clients. Andela Senior Developers are skilled at writing complex applications, have a deep understanding of application lifecycles, databases and services. They are passionate about guidance and mentorship to more junior developers.
The specific responsibilities of the Senior Software Developer position include:
- Interfacing with your client to understand their business, goals and visions for products being supported by an Andela Team
- Performing high quality work that not only meets the need of the client, but surpasses it.
- If you are managing a team:
- Ensuring that our developers are able to understand the business context and value of their tasks, as well as how it impacts users.
- Prioritizing the work that your team is responsible for to ensure that you’re always working on the highest value work that helps your clients meet their objectives.
- Working with our engineers to decompose high level stories into smaller, specific tasks and provide high level design support to help them understand how to solve specific coding challenges.
- Provide technical guidance and oversight to ensure that the work delivered is in accordance with the technical standards of your client.
- Encouraging a collaborative team environment
- Regularly reporting the status of your team both to your client as well as senior members of Andela’s Success Department
Qualifications & Characteristics
As the ideal candidate for this role you:
- Are active in the technology ecosystem in your city ex: you organize meet ups, speak at conferences and are active on github
- Are able to pass our Tech Skills Assessment
- Have at least 4 years of experience working in software development
- Are proficient ideally in ANY TWO of the following stacks and/or experience in:
- Python/Django or Flask or gRPC
- Ruby/Ruby on Rails
- May have a four-year degree in Engineering, Computer Science or a related field from an accredited university
- Have experience leading technical teams using Agile methodologies
- Have experience working remotely as an effective member of a team
- Have a vibrant personality and exceptional communication skills (English, verbal and written)
- A strong desire to mentor other developers
- Have the ability to build rapport and communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Have excellent interpersonal skills
- Have strong leadership skills
- Strongly motivated by our social mission of training 100,000 young Africans in the next 10 years.
EPIC Values Alignment
Demonstrable commitment to the learning & development of people and technology
The ability to learn new things fast enough to amaze your friends and family
If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Benefits & Compensation
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Breakfast, lunch and snacks provided daily
- Beautiful working environment
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds on the planet
- Oh, and a chance to change the world!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Building the next generation of tech leaders In the next ten years, there will be 1.3M software development jobs created and only 400,000 domestic computer science graduates to fill them. Africa, meanwhile, is home to the largest untapped talent pool and seven of the 10 fastest growing internet populations in the world. We founded Andela in 2014 to build a network of technology leaders on the African continent and bridge the divide between the U.S and African tech sectors. Leveraging a proven, data-driven approach, we build high-performing engineering teams with Africa’s top developers to help companies overcome the tech talent shortage and build better products, faster.
Want to learn more about Andela? Visit Andela's website.
Jobs You May Like
Associate Scientist, Cellular Analytics
Bluebird Bio, Cambridge, MA
Bright Health, Minneapolis, MN
Success Engineering Lead
Segment, Dublin, Ireland
Draper Richards Kaplan Foundation, Boston, MA
IT Admin Intern
Braintribe, Vienna, Austria
Facilities Maintenance Technician
ModCloth, Pittsburgh, PA