Head of Program Management
Andela was founded on a simple truth: Brilliance is evenly distributed.
Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from emerging markets and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200+ tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
About the role
We’re looking for an experienced Program Management leader to join our growing Technology team.
In this role, you will build a team of program managers and product support managers, working closely with stakeholders across the product, engineering, customer support, and business operations teams to plan the development and delivery of software releases. We’re looking for someone who is a natural leader, ready to help us refine existing and put in place new program frameworks and development best practices; as well as someone who is ready to contribute as an IC as we grow the team over time (you will be one of the first hires!) We need problem solvers, creative thinkers, multi-taskers, and people who aren’t afraid to get their hands dirty - you must be able to adapt and ready for constant change as we rapidly scale.
If this sounds like you, keep reading - we want to hear from you! We are a fully remote company and you can truly live anywhere while doing this job. We’re looking to hire someone immediately, but for the right candidate we’re willing to wait as well. English fluency is required.
- Partner with engineering and product teams to help plan, develop, track, release, and support high quality products for our users.
- Own, refine, and evangelize Andela’s Product Development Process + Andela’s Product Support workflows.
- Provide business insight into expected release dates by developing and communicating Release Plans for all major product initiatives.
- Help define and track engineering and product metrics that align to business outcomes, and communicate those internally.
- Create frameworks for identification and management of cross-functional programs.
- Work with Product and Product Marketing on launch and adoption of new features.
- Establish and maintain credibility within engineering, the business, and our users by delivering on what you say you are going to do.
- Always be improving our processes, practices, and tech culture so that we are on top of our game; employing repeatable frameworks where possible.
- Help drive common and repeatable approaches that make it simpler for the teams and leaders, allowing them to focus on big picture problems.
In the first week:
- Onboard and integrate into Andela.
- Learn about Andela’s existing product suite and program frameworks.
- Become acquainted with your peers, teams, stakeholders, and your initial goals.
In the first month:
- Start collaborating closely with the engineering teams to familiarize yourself with the goals, roadmap, and processes. Note any observations.
- Get involved with the planning of the upcoming release and start to help formulate the release plan.
- Take ownership of Andela’s Product Development process + support process and start to form a point of view on how to improve it.
- Take ownership of end of sprint ceremonies, program progress meetings, and other ceremonies.
- Form relationships with your product, engineering, and business stakeholders.
In the first three months:
- Launch your first release to a plan that is accurate and well understood by all stakeholders.
- Propose a new Andela support process and hire your first Product Support Manager.
- Take ownership of support and release planning tooling (i.e. JIRA, Zendesk) and start forming a point of view about how to make them better.
- Run stakeholder meetings/initiatives to evangelize and push adoption of the product roadmap.
- Establish yourself as a well known, key player within the technology team and within Andela, and as a trusted advisor to product and engineering leadership.
In the first six months:
- Deliver Andela’s newly refined product development process based on observations in your first six months. Evangelize within the tech team and throughout the entire company.
- Deliver a repeatable framework for creating engineering release plans for all upcoming releases.
- Have Product Support up and running smoothly with well-set expectations across the organization.
- Form a POV on how the team needs to evolve moving forward.
In the first year:
- Deliver, deliver, deliver! You are a trusted and highly valued Andelan and our team relies on you to consistently shepherd the release of high quality products that our users love.
- Continuously strive to scale and improve the team and its processes, meeting the growing needs of the business and our users.
- Scale the team.
- 7+ years of program management experience at a software company, marketplace or B2B preferred. You should have managed a team for some of those years. 10+ years overall work experience.
- Technical degree preferred, but not a deal breaker.
- Consensus-builder; develops relationships across the company with ease.
- Technical fluency; you don’t have to be an engineer, but you do need to speak the language.
- Experience with Agile and Scrum software development methodologies.
- Detail oriented and a high bar for quality when it comes to building release plans, release management, creating launch assets, and reporting progress to stakeholders; with the ability to also build repeatable frameworks for building and communicating overall project direction and strategy.
- Strong project management with the ability to identify and communicate blockers, next steps, and progress.
- Strong analytical skills and fluency with data, with the ability to use a variety of tools to gather and synthesize information (experience with Google Analytics, BigQuery, Looker a major plus).
- Excellent written and verbal communication with a tendency to over-document and over-communicate: we are fully remote, so this is very important!
- Humble and willing to learn/grow. We need confident and capable leaders who want to help each other succeed as much as they want to help our talent succeed.
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.
Building the next generation of tech leaders In the next ten years, there will be 1.3M software development jobs created and only 400,000 domestic computer science graduates to fill them. Africa, meanwhile, is home to the largest untapped talent pool and seven of the 10 fastest growing internet populations in the world. We founded Andela in 2014 to build a network of technology leaders on the African continent and bridge the divide between the U.S and African tech sectors. Leveraging a proven, data-driven approach, we build high-performing engineering teams with Africa’s top developers to help companies overcome the tech talent shortage and build better products, faster.
Want to learn more about Andela? Visit Andela's website.
Today, our mission is simple: Empower independent business owners to dream big.