Senior Human Resources Business Partner
Andela, Madrid, Spain Remote
Andela was founded on a simple truth: Brilliance is evenly distributed.
Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from Africa and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200+ tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
About the Role
The Senior HR Business Partner role supports Andela’s global functions by being a trusted business partner to multiple leaders, managers and employees. He/she plays a critical role in the design and implementation of strategic talent initiatives to drive the success of our evolving business. The role offers the opportunity to innovate alongside a stellar growing team and equally passionate and driven leaders and managers. No two days will be the same and the work is challenging and rewarding.
You will act as a primary point of contact for one or more designated population(s) of managers and employees, serving as a connector to internal functions, and an advisor on all people processes, procedures, and initiatives.
The Senior HRBP will be a key driver of talent management and change management across their population(s) influencing a high growth- and performance-oriented culture. In addition, you will provide coaching and mentorship to other HRBPs, and support the global People Leadership team with the strategic execution of key strategic initiatives and programs including organizational design and Andela’s Remote First program.
This role reports into a Director-Level HRBP and is a 100% remote.
Strategy Development and Implementation
- Work closely with People and Functional Leadership to understand organizational challenges and design/implement creative solutions
- Coordinate and support the implementation of strategic initiatives within your assigned client population(s) and more broadly
- Support leaders and managers in driving engagement and retention within their respective organizations
- Connect employees and managers to compelling learning and development opportunities including mentorship, coaching for performance and growth and advising on career opportunities
- Support leaders and managers on facilitating talent mapping and reviews, and ensuring talent outcomes and actions are implemented
- Develop and implement org effectiveness, workforce retention, career navigation and succession interventions/strategies as required
- Support employees and managers within your population(s) to cultivate a high growth- and performance-oriented culture, and ensure that performance management experiences are effective and empowering, prioritising fairness and objectivity
- Advise managers on team performance management via a data driven approach
- Support proactively to identify underperformance and address thoughtfully, and manage underperformance professionally and swiftly when identified
Employee Relations - Coach, Inspire, Influence
- Provide dedicated coaching to multiple managers and employees within your population(s) with a specific focus on employee advocacy, HR fundamentals and process training, employee relations management, and workplace investigations as appropriate
- Provide advice and counsel to managers and employees to ensure consistent application and integration of policies, procedures and practices at 100% compliance to promote an ethical and compliant work environment
- Ensure that all employee relations issues are properly identified, reported, investigated and resolved
- Serve as an escalation point for your population(s)
- Coordinate and support the implementation and delivery of key strategic initiatives, including Andela’s Remote First program, including identifying risks and impact to delivery, as well as tracking and reporting progress and outcomes
- Implement effective change management strategies, providing subject matter expertise on risk mitigation and change delivery
- Build and maintain healthy relationships with key stakeholders
- Coach leaders/managers on proper management and communication practices
- Work closely and effectively with other HRBPs, People Operations, and the wider People team team to identify best practices and use it to define effective business interventions
- Significant and relevant 8+ years professional experience, preferably in an advisory HRM/HRBP/O&TD role
- Knowledge of in-country employment regulations/statutes and capacity to apply them to Andela. Ability to adapt applicable global labor laws into local practices as required. Experience with other African countries a plus
- Solid track record in design and implementation of talent management strategies that have meaningfully impacted the individual and organization experience; previous experience in coaching employees/managers through complex, difficult issues and creating effective working partnerships with senior leaders
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (both verbal and written) skills, ability to present and facilitate effectively, and stellar emotional intelligence with a specific focus on self moderation, cultivating relationships and empathy.
- Previous HR project management experience preferred, including demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with different stakeholder sets
- Experience in a challenging, fast-changing, complex and matrixed business environment with a special focus on multiculturalism (and internationalism)
- Significant and relevant professional experience, most of which should be in an advisory HRM/HRBP role
If the above sounds like an exciting role to you, please tell us why you believe you’re a good fit and we’ll be in touch.
Building the next generation of tech leaders In the next ten years, there will be 1.3M software development jobs created and only 400,000 domestic computer science graduates to fill them. Africa, meanwhile, is home to the largest untapped talent pool and seven of the 10 fastest growing internet populations in the world. We founded Andela in 2014 to build a network of technology leaders on the African continent and bridge the divide between the U.S and African tech sectors. Leveraging a proven, data-driven approach, we build high-performing engineering teams with Africa’s top developers to help companies overcome the tech talent shortage and build better products, faster.
Want to learn more about Andela? Visit Andela's website.
Great Prices. Better Cars. Shipped to You.