Software Engineer in Test - QA (Technology)
Andela was founded on a simple truth: Brilliance is evenly distributed.
Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have cultivated 1,000+ software engineers from Emerging Markets and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200+ tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
What You’ll Do
In this role, you will work as a Software Engineer in Test within the Technology organization, building world-class internal and customer-facing products to support Andela’s business needs.
Our Andelan Engineers epitomize ownership. They take personal responsibility for Andela’s ability to continue to deliver value and build products that are key to helping Andela grow and scale as an organization.
- Use your knowledge in your core testing technology to help build products that delight our customers around the world.
- Be responsible for test execution and prepare relevant test result reports.
- Proactively communicating and prioritizing effectively on tasks.
- Build great software while continuously learning and expanding your skill set.
What You’ll Bring
A minimum of 3 years of professional experience, during which you’ve built technical knowledge on QA techniques and processes, and exercised ownership on various technical teams.
- Understands testing tools and frameworks required to support the effective testing of Single-Page Web Applications.
- Able to identify areas that can be automated in daily tasks.
- Familiar with at least one Test Case Management solution.
- Able to run a root-cause analysis, report relevant information, and suggest remediation.
- Demonstrates a desire to problem-solve independently first, before seeking assistance.
- Familiar with the core concepts of CI/CD pipelines and able to progress code as required.
- Able to contribute to documentation, as needed, as part of code, code-delivery, onboarding, or any requested documentation maintained by the team.
- Completes tasks independently, with little feedback.
- Continuously self-reflective to look for areas of improvement and seek help when needed.
- Familiar with planning and estimating. Sets and meets expectations for on-time delivery, and takes complexity and scale into account when sizing larger bodies of work.
- Able to accurately select the right means of communication for the need, based on impacting variables, such as immediacy and complexity.
Familiarity with the following specific tools:
- Testing tools: Selenium, Jest, Mocha, TestCafe, Chai
- Zephyr Test Management
- Modern Angular application testing experience
- Cloud based CI/CD tools: CircleCI, CodeClimate
Technologies You’ll Work With
We are building advanced applications using modern tools and technologies. Our platform is Node based. On the backend we have a multi-tier architecture, utilizing PostgreSQL, NestJs, GraphQL, and Typescript. On the frontend we use Angular 10. The platform is deployed to Google Cloud Platform (GCP), using a modern CI/CD pipeline (Docker, Kubernetes, CircleCI, CodeClimate).
At Andela, we outcompete through diversity. We know that our strengths lies in the multiplicity of talents, perspectives, backgrounds & orientations resident in our community and we take pride in that. Andela is committed to a work environment in which all individuals are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere that promotes equal employment opportunities and prohibits discriminatory practices. Andela provides equal employment opportunities and workplace to all employees and applicants without regard to factors including but not limited to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy (including breastfeeding), genetic information, HIV/AIDS or any other medical status, family or parental status, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. This commitment applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Our policies expressly prohibit any form of harassment and/or discrimination as stated above.
Andela is home for all, come as you are.
Building the next generation of tech leaders In the next ten years, there will be 1.3M software development jobs created and only 400,000 domestic computer science graduates to fill them. Africa, meanwhile, is home to the largest untapped talent pool and seven of the 10 fastest growing internet populations in the world. We founded Andela in 2014 to build a network of technology leaders on the African continent and bridge the divide between the U.S and African tech sectors. Leveraging a proven, data-driven approach, we build high-performing engineering teams with Africa’s top developers to help companies overcome the tech talent shortage and build better products, faster.
Want to learn more about Andela? Visit Andela's website.
A monthly box of dog goodies