Director of Engineering (Technology)
Andela, US, Remote
Andela was founded on a simple truth: Brilliance is evenly distributed.
Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from emerging markets and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200 tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
What You’ll Do
Andela’s Technology department is charged with implementing products that will help Andela to scale with consistency and quality, while providing excellent service internally and externally. We are building a technology powered marketplace to connect talent with opportunity.
In this role, you will lead multiple initiatives and teams across the engineering organization. You will manage engineers providing mentoring, coaching, and maintaining innovative processes that monitor the health of the engineering team. You will drive the development of data-intensive and mission critical software products. You are expected to understand scalable computing systems, architectures, data structures, and to contribute meaningfully to architecture discussions. The right candidate will want to measure everything, be very data driven, and know how to run a tight, lean, efficient operation.
- Manage teams of engineers
- Provide technical guidance, career development, and mentoring to team members
- Be a multiplier and have a passion for team and team members’ success
- Vocally advocate for technical excellence and help the teams make good decisions
- Ensure teams have clear priorities and adequate resources
- Develop and deploy new strategies for building a high velocity, high-performance engineering teams in line with our emerging business needs
- Provide technical leadership and guidance
- Participate in all aspects of the design, development, and deployment of all Tech Products
- Providing technical guidance to engineering teams and the management team
- Occasionally contribute to development tasks such as coding and feature verifications to assist teams with release commitments, to gain an understanding of the deeply technical product as well as to keep your technical acumen sharp
- Take responsible for the long-term architecture roadmap and direction of technology
- Manage, measure and improve products and processes
- Develop team and individual KPIs aligned with the Technology department’s goals and Andela’s strategic goals
- Monitor reliability and performance of all internal systems to suggest improvements
- Identify process improvements using Agile/SCRUM software development practices
- Collaborate with stakeholders within and across departments
- Participate in cross-functional coordination, planning, and reviews with leads from other engineering teams
- Coordinate with stakeholders for new integrations and tools
- Report progress and metrics on key objectives to the management team
- Build products that deliver value
- Design strategies for future development projects based on the Andela’s overall objectives and resources
- Manage software development projects by aligning on requirements, goals and timelines
- Drive the execution and delivery of features by collaborating with many cross functional teams, architects, product owners and engineer
- Make critical decisions that contribute to the success of the product
- Recruit talent
- Manage recruiting, headcount planning, career growth, and training for the technology organization
- Maintain and foster our culture by interviewing and hiring only the most qualified individuals
- Hire engineers, coordinate their onboarding, develop their growth plans
- 8+ years of software development experience
- 5+ experience building, leading, managing, and mentoring high-performance teams
- Strong understanding of computer science principles, system design, and architecture
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Have ability to build rapport and communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Have excellent interpersonal skills
- Have strong leadership and project management skills
- A Bachelor's or advanced degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or related field
- Work experience as a director of engineering or in a similar senior-level position at an engineering department
- Hands-on experience in back-end and front-end development
- Experience building and operating scalable infrastructure software or distributed systems
- Familiarity with building secure software using modern security principles
What Technologies You’ll Work With
We are building advanced applications using modern tools and technologies. Our primary app is Node based. On the backend we have a multi-tier architecture, utilizing PostgreSQL, NestJs, GraphQL, and Typescript. On the frontend we use Angular 10. The platform is deployed to Google Cloud Platform (GCP), using a modern CI/CD pipeline (Docker, Kubernetes, CircleCI, CodeClimate). Our tools and technologies are as follows:
- GraphQL based webservices
- NestJS application framework
- Angular 10
- Docker, Kubernetes
- Cloud based CI/CD tools, CircleCI, CodeClimate
What You’ll Get
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Great perks and thoughtful approaches to remote work
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds inside and outside of your field
- A chance to change the world for the better
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Building the next generation of tech leaders In the next ten years, there will be 1.3M software development jobs created and only 400,000 domestic computer science graduates to fill them. Africa, meanwhile, is home to the largest untapped talent pool and seven of the 10 fastest growing internet populations in the world. We founded Andela in 2014 to build a network of technology leaders on the African continent and bridge the divide between the U.S and African tech sectors. Leveraging a proven, data-driven approach, we build high-performing engineering teams with Africa’s top developers to help companies overcome the tech talent shortage and build better products, faster.
Want to learn more about Andela? Visit Andela's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one