QA Engineering Manager (Technology)
Andela, Lagos, Nairobi, Kigali, Kampala, Remote
Andela was founded on a simple truth: Brilliance is evenly distributed.
Marc Andreessen, co-founder of the venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz wrote: “software is eating the world.” That statement is just as true today as it was eight years ago. Software is embedded in our day-to-day, and few industries are immune. Peek behind the code and you will find brilliant engineers pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Talk to any engineering leader and they will tell you that access to talent is their number one barrier to building software and growing their business. Research the industry and you read about the 1 million computer-programming jobs that will go unfilled in 2020.
That is where Andela comes in. We help engineering leaders at companies big and small bridge that gap. We are building tools, systems and processes to connect talent, no matter where they live, with the opportunities to do great things. To date, we have identified 1,000+ software engineers from emerging markets and placed them as full-time, embedded members of development teams at over 200 tech companies. Along the way, we have raised $180M from Al Gore’s venture fund, Generation Partners, Google Ventures, Spark Capital, the Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative and Serena Ventures.
And we are just getting started.
All of our people live and breathe our E.P.I.C values:
- Excellence: We are lifelong learners who strive for mastery of our craft
- Passion: We believe we are going to change the world and act accordingly
- Integrity: We choose extraordinary people and then trust them to do the right thing
- Collaboration: We know our sum is greater than our parts
What You’ll Do
Andela’s Technology department is charged with implementing products that will help Andela to scale with consistency and quality, while providing excellent service internally and externally. We are building a technology powered marketplace to connect talent with opportunity.
In this role, you will work as an QA Manager within the Technology department leading a full stack team. You will manage up to 10 engineers providing mentoring and coaching and maintaining innovative processes that monitor the health of the engineering team.
- Manage engineers
- Manage QA team members with different skill sets and technical areas of focus
- Mentor and coach the QA engineers and ensure their success
- Encourage and promote best QA engineering practices
- Encourage a data-driven culture to improve the efficiency, scalability, and stability of our products
- Support QA engineers in identifying, resolving and escalating issues that impact their work
- Manage and track QA engineers on performance and career development
- Provide technical leadership and guidance
- Guide the team in the development of test cases and the execution of all functional QA testing.
- Responsible for setting goals for the team and ensuring delivery of results.
- Partner with QA engineers to improve and automate testing processes.
- Provide scoping and estimation feedback to the business
- Make technology choices working with the team members
- Drive issue resolution and ensure production system uptime
- Manage, measure and improve engineering processes
- Continuously improves Andelas software development lifecycle processes
- Oversee all defect identification, triage, and management. Coordinate defect reporting from customers, our customer success team, and other sources.
- Improve release planning and sprint execution
- Plan and manage a QA engineering roadmap, clearly articulating motivations and rationale.
- Plan, track, and manage QA for multiple in-flight engineering projects. Own timelines for all QA work.
- Drive prioritization and issue resolution approaches
- Refine onboarding and offboarding processes for engineering team members
- Collaborate with key stakeholders within and across department
- Ensure collaboration with Engineer leadership and across Engineering teams
- Advocate for and ensure prioritization of technical initiatives working with Product Managers.
- Engage with users and key stakeholders to understand problems and requirements
- Responsible for measuring and reporting on defect rates for all platforms.
- Recruit talent
- Identify potential candidates that best fit our roles (e.g. team leads, senior engineers)
- Interview and evaluate prospective talent to ensure fit
- Facilitate onboarding of new hires
- Support budget alignment and monitoring and adherence of responsibilities
- Demonstrated experience building and managing a QA team within a rapidly growing company, with an established ability to hire and coach people at multiple levels.
- Strong experience in configuration and release management.
- 5-7 years of software development experience
- 3+ years experience managing and growing software engineering teams as a direct QA leadership and people management
- Demonstrated experience establishing and scaling QA processes with strong results. Excellent ability to organize teams and processes. Experience with test automation.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Experience with standard testing tools such as Zephyr Test Management, Selenium, Jest, Mocha, TestCafe, and Chai
- Proven track record of building metric driven testing teams
- Have ability to build rapport and communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Have strong leadership skills.
What Technologies You’ll Work With
We are building advanced applications using modern tools and technologies. Our primary app is Node based. On the backend we have a multi-tier architecture, utilizing PostgreSQL, NestJs, GraphQL, and Typescript. On the frontend we use Angular 10. The platform is deployed to Google Cloud Platform (GCP), using a modern CI/CD pipeline (Docker, Kubernetes, CircleCI, CodeClimate). Our tools and technologies are as follows:
- GraphQL based webservices
- NestJS application framework
- Angular 10
- Docker, Kubernetes
- Cloud based CI/CD tools, CircleCI, CodeClimate
What You’ll Get
- Full-time compensation
- Full medical coverage
- Great perks and thoughtful approaches to remote work
- Opportunity to work with the brightest minds inside and outside of your field
- A chance to change the world for the better
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Building the next generation of tech leaders In the next ten years, there will be 1.3M software development jobs created and only 400,000 domestic computer science graduates to fill them. Africa, meanwhile, is home to the largest untapped talent pool and seven of the 10 fastest growing internet populations in the world. We founded Andela in 2014 to build a network of technology leaders on the African continent and bridge the divide between the U.S and African tech sectors. Leveraging a proven, data-driven approach, we build high-performing engineering teams with Africa’s top developers to help companies overcome the tech talent shortage and build better products, faster.
Want to learn more about Andela? Visit Andela's website.
High-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos