Principal Software Engineering Instructor
App Academy, Remote
See jobs at App Academy
- Take responsibility for a single cohort as it navigates through the part-time online Software Engineering track, supporting student learning both as a content expert and as an educator
- Use App Academy’s internal tools to monitor students’ progress and identify ways to support their learning on an individual level
- Engage with struggling students in order to coach them through challenges and help them succeed in the course
- Augment technical lectures and projects time with supplementary materials and contextual explanations based on specific student needs
- Lead a daily lesson that reviews the day’s core learning objectives while addressing any student questions or misunderstandings
- Contribute to and maintain resources for all Instruction staff that can be used to monitor and support student learning
- Maintain resources and tools for all instructors and PTMs to be used to monitor and augment student learning
- Collaborate with the App Academy Engineering team in order to improve internal tools
- Collaborate with the App Academy Curriculum team in order to iterate and improve upon curriculum content and delivery
Experience & Qualifications
- 3-5 years of experience as a Software Engineer specializing in at least three of the core technologies taught at App Academy
- 1+ year of experience as an educator or people manager
- Mastery of at least one of the following languages and associated frameworks: Ruby with Ruby on Rails; Node with Express.js and Sequelize; Python with Flask and SQLAlchemy; Java with Spring and JPA; C# with ASP.NET MVCand EF
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrable capacity to handle interpersonal relationships with empathy
Nice to Haves
- Functional knowledge of macOS, Windows, and Ubuntu Linux
- Demonstrable knowledge of DevOps tools such as Docker, Kubernetes, or Terraform
- Demonstrable knowledge of using microservice-based architecture
- Take responsibility for student success -- Everyone works together to enable student success.
- Follow the numbers -- Decisions should be backed by data.
- Embrace a growth mindset -- View challenges and failures as opportunities to improve.
- Start with why -- See the big picture and question the status quo. If there’s a better way of doing things we should investigate it.
- Create an inclusive environment -- We work together to promote empathy and respect amongst all students and staff.
- Build with urgency -- Our products positively change lives.
- Salary Disclosure: We at App Academy feel passionately about pay transparency, as it supports candidates in receiving equal pay for equal work. The compensation range for this position includes a base salary range of $100,000- $120,000, as well as variable compensation. (Note: salary ranges apply to U.S. based applicants only)
- Flexible paid time off
- Employer-sponsored health insurance plans with 100% support for premiums
- 401K company match
- The opportunity to work with driven and talented colleagues committed to lifelong learning
About App Academy
App Academy is a software development school that seeks to change what people expect from education. App Academy offers a variety of training programs, including a 12-week immersive coding and job placement program, where 98% of graduates have been placed in software development roles at an average salary of $105,000 in San Francisco and $89,000 in New York City. We've trained over 2,000 students, more than 70,000 people have applied for the course, and we’ve been profitable for the last four years. Our tuition model is game-changing. Students only pay if they find a job within 12 months after the course. No job, no tuition. This allows us to select students for their talent and passion regardless of what’s in their bank account. Each course bootstraps dozens of students out of financial hardship. Graduates currently work at some of the top tech companies in the world including, Uber, Braintree, Amazon, Facebook, Google, Intuit, Mixpanel, Slack, Oracle, Pivotal Labs, Upstart, Vimeo, Stripe, Tumblr, and more.
Want to learn more about App Academy? Visit App Academy's website.
Innovative, fast-paced, challenging.. we're everything you want in a workplace.