Software Engineer (Backend)
Architizer, New York, NY
The largest database for architecture and sourcing building products.
Architizer is a portfolio database, media site, and architectural manufacturer search engine that’s transforming the architecture community. With over 86,000 projects from around the world, our vision is to bring more innovation, efficiency, and quality to the world of architecture and design by leveraging our rich data to create a more fully connected network of architects, product manufacturers, and design enthusiasts. We’re headquartered in New York City.
Product & Engineering is the heart of the company. They’re a small, agile group of high performers working to develop and deliver valuable and scalable solutions to the architecture community. They’re obsessed with understanding and building for our customers’ hardest problems, writing beautiful code, and making data-driven decisions. They value positive energy, continuous learning, clear communication, and are committed to building an inclusive environment for people from every background.
Architizer’s backend presents many unique challenges and opportunities for designing and architecting complex, performant, scalable systems. As a backend engineer, you’ll contribute to a diverse stack of backend technologies, such as the database, APIs, devops stack, and search engine. You will be drawing on your experience to play a key role in leading the future of engineering at Architizer. If you’re excited by leading the management of AWS services in a reliable fashion, maintaining the metrics pipeline, and practicing test-driven development, we should talk!
- Collaborate with product managers and designers to quickly ship new products and features
- Architect and scale complex backend systems and services, optimizing for long-term maintainability, performance, and reliability
- Write modular, secure, and well-tested code and deploy work to production multiple times per day and week
- Articulate and shape the long-term technical roadmap and vision for engineering at Architizer
- Improve the team and company - you will be an active participant in our culture (mentorship, interviewing, and new initiatives)
- Add positive energy in every meeting and make your team members feel included in every interaction
- 4+ years of software engineering and working within a team environment
- Experience with web application technologies and languages. Ideally: Python, Django, Celery, PostgreSQL
- Experience with designing and consuming APIs (REST, search APIs, GraphQL)
- Experience with search technologies, such as Solr
- Experience with platform and devops technologies, especially: AWS (bonus points if you’re a fan of Elastic Beantalk or Lambdas), NGINX, CircleCI, Sentry, Docker
- Knowledge of SQL
- Experience with TDD and code review
- Unafraid of moving fast and breaking things
- Genuine love of technology and coding
- Relentless focus on delivering real value for our customers
- An “in-the-driver’s-seat”, entrepreneurial attitude
- Bonus points: enthusiasm for design, a degree in a technical field, leadership/ management chops, experience with rapid growth in your company (from startup to mid-size), experience with machine learning and/ or search, experience with Go.
Benefits and Perks
- 100% company paid individual medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage
- 401k and company match up to 4%
- Competitive salary and equity
- Gym and commuter benefits
- FSA plan available
- Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Company-paid tech conferences and learning budget
- Friday team lunches and unlimited snacks/ coffee/ beer
- The computer system and desk setup of your choice
- Free membership to the Museum of Modern Art after 1 year at the company
- A beautiful office space in NYC and very fun, supportive coworkers
Architizer is an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Architizer HQ, New York, New York
The construction industry is massive. In the U.S. alone, it’s as large as the education, agricultural, and utility industries - combined. And architects are at the forefront of that industry, with huge influence over how trillions of dollars are spent every year.
That’s precisely why Architizer, the largest and fastest growing database for architecture in the world was formed. Their network provides the tools to empower design professionals to build better buildings, better cities, and ultimately a better world.