Director, Art Department | Los Angeles, CA
Who We Are:
ATTN: is an entertainment company that breaks down important societal topics and conversations into digestible, entertaining videos and series across all platforms. We are leaders when it comes to reaching people who want context on the issues and conversations that matter to them.
We are seeking a Director, Art Department with a sincere passion for content that drives social good as well as a relentless commitment to identifying innovative and competitive design/animation offerings. You will use your gift for leading to guide our Animation + Design team in support of both branded and originals Productions. You must also have experience and a firm understanding of social media spaces, technical practices and delivery specs for all major social platforms. This role will report directly into our VP, Production.
In this role, you will deliver great content, estimate the cost of animation and design components, then relentlessly lead the team through production and delivery of these concepts. You will focus on creative quality while balancing resources and efficiency. Above all, we are looking for a passionate, innovative and highly dedicated department leader who can empower and inspire tremendous creative output.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with Producers, Creative, and Post teams on the overall animation direction, style, quality and execution
- Drive the evolution strategy of the animation pipeline, establishing efficient animation procedures. Ensure workflows are strong and executed well
- Provide direct art, animation, and design support of ATTN:’s originals and branded productions
- Drive animation and design at ATTN: by balancing performance, quality, technical details, schedule and budget
- Deck design, the ability visually communicate concepts, and the skillset to strategically create branding elements for clients is an important part of this role
- Develop cost estimates for design and animation components, from initial concept through final video, based off of an idea, script or storyboard through to final video
- Support and partner with the VP, Production to innovate and elevate Design and Animation, with specific focus on high profile, business critical projects
- Partner with VP, Production to identify ways to monetize design and animation to offer new revenue streams and cost models
- Set technical requirements and best practices, drive new standards based on industry trends, and stay abreast of advanced developments in technology
- Lead/participate in brainstorming
- Educate internal teams and occasionally external clients on technical requirements, workflow, and best practices for design and animation
- Devise and execute strategies to achieve production goals and improve efficiency
- Estimate needed resources for each project and optimize team staffing
- Lead, manage, develop, a diverse team with strong skill sets
- Clearly communicates objectives to focus the team
What you’ll bring to the role:
Proven experience in:
- 8+ years’ experience in design and animation
- 5+ years of experience leading and managing teams, able to provide creative feedback and direction, and passion for coaching and developing
- Developing design and animation ideas that resulted in new revenue streams
- Working with Bidding & Line Producers and Production management to create animation and design cost estimates & rate models
- Expert experience assessing timelines, budgets, team bandwidth, and technical/creative resources
- Delegating and ensuring everyone follows proper processes and procedures
Expertise you have:
- Project management skills and ability to multitask
- Ability to shape the department's structure and processes to meet an ever-expanding need for innovative and high-quality creative assets
- Working knowledge of Adobe Suite (After Effects/Illustrator/Photoshop), Adobe Character Animator. Working knowledge of Cinema 4D is a plus.
- Expert knowledge of Keynote and the ability to design decks.
- Expert knowledge of technical practices from hand-drawn to CG, from development, through layout to compositing, (modeling, rigging, texturing, look development, environments, lighting and FX), and delivery
- Expert understanding of current workflows and evolving technical strategies to meet quick-turn creative demands
- Relationships with key vendors in the design and animation space
- Knowledge of animation archival practices and opportunities to improve them
Other requirements we’re looking for:
- Has a network of freelancers for a variety of projects
- Relentless commitment to identifying innovative and competitive design/animation offerings
- A sincere passion for content that drives social good
- Passion for telling stories that move people
- Ability to think big picture + connect the dots
- Ability to recommend and implement tools, scripts, plugins, etc. to rapidly speed up design or animation tasks
- Required: Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in Animation, Design, Marketing or related
- Preferred education: Advanced Degree in a related field
Our Commitment to Inclusion & Diversity:
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, ATTN: is committed to building and fostering a workplace of diversity and employee inclusion. ATTN: does not discriminate on the basis of an individual's sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.
WHO WE ARE ATTN: is an issues driven media company. Our mission is to deliver engaging content to a mobile-first audience. Every day we produce videos, articles and commentary telling stories worth your attention. What We Stand For At our core, ATTN: believes in informing people to make a social impact. Through compelling, issue-driven content, we strive to engender greater participation in communities, the political process and the world around us. Our audience is hungry for substance delivered in an interesting way: videos, graphics, original animation and yes, good writing, too. ATTN: is starting conversations around issues that matter and meeting our audience where they live: on phones, screens and on social media. We’re telling stories worth your attention.