Quick Take: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We are hiring a Reporter to help cover the Tampa metro area as a part of our new local news initiative, which will extend our mission to America’s hometowns.
Why it Matters: Our coverage is built on the architecture of Smart Brevity and, in our latest venture, we are taking that approach to local markets to provide worthy coverage of the happenings of cities across the US. This reporter will create a meaningful local presence in their specific market, covering the topics of consequence for regional readers and getting them smarter, faster on the news that matters in their specific community. This reporter will connect the dots between local, national, and global developments to make readers aware of the narratives shaping their lives.
Go Deeper: We are looking for someone who cares deeply about local news, is obsessed with innovative new ways to reimagine it, and skilled in execution to spearhead this new a venture with the following responsibilities:
- Author a daily Axios newsletter, providing clinical coverage, insights, and scoops about the stories and issues that matter most to local readers
- Command of the local market, key issues, and sourcing necessary to provide the connection and illumination busy readers need to navigate the communities where they live
- Contribute to building Axios Local, adapt Axios’ “Smart Brevity” style to local news, and shape how the product evolves
- Closely collaborate across teams at Axios for stories that have local, national, and global impact, bringing stories to life across multiple platforms (online, video, broadcast, or podcast)
The Details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills:
- Experience covering a wide range of topics at a local and national level
- Experience working in or with local newsrooms and local influencers
- Deep knowledge of the local market, including politics, business, and social issues
- Background in understanding local and national news coverage more broadly
- Demonstrated knowledge of digital and social media landscape
- A belief in and dedication to writing in Smart Brevity
- Highly skilled at completing stories on a deadline
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per month
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Weekly company-sponsored exercise and meditation classes
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
About Axios Our mission We are a new media company delivering vital, trustworthy news and analysis in the most efficient, illuminating and shareable ways possible. We offer a mix of original and smartly narrated coverage of media trends, tech, business and politics with expertise, voice AND smart brevity — on a new and innovative mobile platform. At Axios — the Greek word for worthy — we provide only content worthy of people’s time, attention and trust.
Want to learn more about Axios? Visit Axios's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.
Jobs You May Like
Group Copy Supervisor
BGB Group, BGB Group