Quick take: Axios is a growth-stage company dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We're hiring a Senior Data Engineer to join our growing data team!
Why it matters: As a Senior Data Engineer, this person will collaborate with engineers, analysts, and product managers to drive forward data initiatives across mission-critical Axios products. Our Data team is made of Data Engineers, Data Scientists, and Analysts who use data-driven methodologies to inform decisions and strategy, build robust scalable products and identify opportunities for innovation across the company. We round our team out with a Technical Product Manager and Data Quality Engineer to assure the team has the support it needs to succeed.
Go deeper: This Data Engineer will play a leadership role in building solutions to problems in an intelligent and nuanced way. In this role, you will make an impact on Axios through the following responsibilities:
- Support planning, execution, hiring, and mentoring staff, as well as your hands-on development within the role
- Develop and maintain developer tooling to support PySpark data pipelines
- Implement processes and systems to ensure data is accurate and available for key stakeholders and business processes
- Develop and maintain data platform components including; Kafka data producers and consumers, pipeline architecture, data lake, data warehouse, and Business Intelligence tooling
- Collaborate closely with fellow data team members as well as tech and product teams and company leaders
- Support continuing increases in data velocity, volume, and complexity
- Write unit/integration tests and document work
- Perform data analysis required to troubleshoot data-related issues and assist in the resolution of data issues
The details: Ideal candidate should have an entrepreneurial spirit, be highly collaborative, exhibit a passion for building technology products, and have the following qualifications:
- Experience with or knowledge of Agile Software Development methodologies
- Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Strong SQL and Python development experience
- Proven experience with building systems using a microservice architecture
- Proven experience with schema design and dimensional data modeling
- Proven experience developing pipelines utilizing event streaming data and familiarity with the Apache Kafka framework
- Practical experience with SQL and NoSQL databases
- Practical experience supporting Business Intelligence tooling and third-party systems
- Experience designing, building, and maintaining data processing systems
- Experience working with MapReduce and Spark clusters
- Experience detecting and reporting data quality issues
- Familiarity with Docker, CI/CD (such as Jenkins/Circle), AWS
- Experience building data visualizations and dashboards is preferred
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Company equity
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Company-sponsored access to Ginger coaching and mental health support
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Class pass discount
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
About Axios Our mission We are a new media company delivering vital, trustworthy news and analysis in the most efficient, illuminating and shareable ways possible. We offer a mix of original and smartly narrated coverage of media trends, tech, business and politics with expertise, voice AND smart brevity — on a new and innovative mobile platform. At Axios — the Greek word for worthy — we provide only content worthy of people’s time, attention and trust.
Want to learn more about Axios? Visit Axios's website.
The social news and entertainment company.