Job Description: What we are looking for…
BARK is a fast-growing business for people who absolutely love dogs. We are sniffin’ around for a Head of Legal (Vice President of Legal) to join our pack. As our business continues growing, we want someone in house who really understands our goals and how to achieve them… legally ☺ (and gets our sense of humor).
You will report directly to our CFO to advise all teams within BARK, as well as liaise between BARK and our outside counsel when necessary. As head of legal, we are looking for a business minded, risk management partner for our general managers, department heads, and executives. Here are some of the initiatives you would be involved in:
- Draft and negotiate commercial agreements with suppliers, partners, customers and vendors
- Act as first point of contact on all product and advertising regulatory and compliance questions
- Help us with corporate governance as we prepare to be a public company
- Transaction work and support
- As Bark creates new IP, be advisor on privacy, trade secret, copyright, trademark and patent questions and prosecution/application
- Manage our capitalization table and equity compensation program
- Manage our corporate risk insurance portfolio
- Act as a legal advisor to the team regarding labor and employment, tax, financing, litigation, and real estate matters
- Build a scalable framework for contract management and legal support
- Manage our outside counsel as needed
- Identify and assess legal risks and opportunities generally and advise accordingly
- Risk management with CFO and VP Finance & Accounting
- 7+ years experience
- A JD, and admission to a state bar
- Sound judgment and business acumen
- Excellent communication skills
- Hungry self-starter who can operate with little direction
- Consumer product industry experience is a plus (experience with regulatory, customer and vendor relations)
- Bonus points for in-house experience, preferably with a high growth company
- MUST. LOVE. DOGS.
BARK: Who we are…
Bark is, literally, for the dogs. We are obsessed with making dogs (and the people who love them) happy. If that means giving belly scratches until we get carpal tunnel or having meetings with dogs on our laps, that’s cool. We are one of the leading brands in the dog market after only 6 years and are the largest non-food subscription company in the pet space. Bark is backed by August Capital, RRE Ventures, Resolute Ventures, and Founders’ Circle Capital. And our executives come from MeetUp, Uber, MTV, Jack Threads, and JP Morgan just to name a few.
At Bark, our vision is to be available to serve dogs and their people everywhere that is convenient for them, with the best products, entertainment, advice, and service available. When people think “Dog,” we want them thinking Bark. We are the experts, the innovators, the voice, and the caretakers for dogs everywhere.
While BarkBox is most well-known, Bark is more than a subscription company and a products company. Bark is proud crazy dog people, creating a brand for a generation of people who love their dogs like children. With BarkBox, BarkMarketplaces, BarkRetail, and our ventures group, we are innovating with our product design, with our experiences, and with how we engage our community. With every touch point, every interaction, every toy, and every treat, we are the experts in dog fun. Lastly, we are founded and led by entrepreneurs and continue to work in an entrepreneurial culture in spite of our scale.
Some more about Bark.
- 500,000+ BarkBox subscribers monthly and growing.
- BarkHappy (our consumer relations team) not only provides industry leading customer service, but proactive outreach to over 150,000 customers each month.
- Bark products can be found in Target nationwide and we are signing up additional “brick and mortar” retailers.
A few things we believe in…
Partnership: Accounting and finance are service functions that partner with operational departments across the firm. We are responsible for accurate reporting and compliance, which often requires implementing processes and disciplines that could be burdensome to our operating partners and/or to the accounting team. An effective accounting and finance team works to understand the goals and constraints of our partners and then implement process changes that enhance or at least minimally disrupt our partners. We work to be part of their team and help them understand the financial implications of their decisions.
Ownership: We own the numbers and are responsible for their accuracy and the insights generated from them. Each member of the accounting and finance team has a personal standard of accuracy and for ‘doing it right’ that exceeds any audit or external compliance standard. Mistakes happen and when they do, we fix them and implement checks and measures to ensure they don’t happen again.
“Doers”: We are a team of “doers” and we expect leaders to both provide direction as well as help get the work done.
Team: Bark has a strong team of smart, high integrity, fun individuals who work hard. We help each other with the big and the small stuff equally. We know we will either win as a team or lose as individuals.
Fun: Fun and happiness is the business we are in and the culture we enjoy. We work too hard not to enjoy what we do and who we spend our working hours with.
Where we work…
This position is a full-time salaried position located on-site at Bark's headquarters in the heart of Chinatown, Manhattan, New York City. We also have a second office in Columbus, Ohio, for BarkHappy, our pupstomer service team. Both offices, from the physical space to our software and platforms, are designed to be collaborative; you won’t find private offices but you will find a community. The spaces are open to create a sense of community and to bring the outdoor feel in. Goodie-stocked kitchens, a vertical lounge wall, stadium seating, and multiple breakout areas are just a few of the design features. And, as you would expect, Bark is a place where dogs rule, including a play area just for the pups.
This is an “in the office job” with minimal travel, but you will be expected to travel as needed to our Columbus, OH office as well as for industry events. We try to avoid it, but weekend and evening work happens and is expected on occasion.
We offer health insurance for both you and your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, and a dog to pet any time you wish.
This position is a full-time, salaried position. It is located on-site at our office in Manhattan, New York. We offer health insurance for both you and your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, and a dog to pet anytime you wish.
There are 80 million dogs in the US. Not all of them have their own BarkBox subscriptions…yet. But you can help. BarkBox is hiring, and employees get a spot in their sunny new office and health insurance for employee and pup (no joke).
Be a Better BarkBox Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BarkBox when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BarkBox? Visit BarkBox's website.
Jobs You May Like
Software Engineer - New Grad - Backend
Yelp, San Francisco, CA
Senior Product Manager - Security - Elasticsearch
Elastic, Eastern Americas or Western Europe
Senior Product Lead, Mobile
Shopify, Ottawa, Canada
Senior Technical Product Manager (f/m/x)
Senior Product Manager
Dropbox, Seattle, WA
Product Marketing Manager
ServiceTitan, Glendale, CA