Senior Data Scientist / Machine Learning Engineer
BarkBox, New York, NY
A monthly box of dog goodies
BARK is a company building products, experiences, and entertainment for dogs and the people who love them. The lasting brand that Disney has built for kids and families, BARK is building for the fast-growing market of dog people.
Our ambition-level is high, the opportunity is huge, and our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly themed subscription of all-natural treats and clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 50 million toys and treats to the dogs across the world and use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives and ways to make dogs happier.
But what kind of company is BARK? It's a company that has gone to the dogs. We are committed to a culture that is open, inclusive, generous, and enthusiastic — just like our pups. United by this dog-obsession, we embrace diversity of all stripes and spots. If your camera roll is 90% pictures of your dog, you belong here.
At BARK, we know that dogs aren't pets; they're family. Our people – crazy dog people – believe that their dogs deserve the best. The best treats, the best toys, the best seat on the couch. Together, we're driven to be the people our dogs think we are.
WHO WE’RE SNIFFIN’ FOR:
Can you give a pup belly scratches until you get carpal tunnel? Listen to squeaky toys until your ears bleed? BARK is a fast-growing business for people who love, (*ruv) dogs.
As a Data Scientist / Machine Learning Engineer at BARK, we’ll be depending on you to write modular, flexible, extensible, reusable, readable, and operational ML code compatible with existing BARK systems, share best practices / industry standards in data science within the Data & Analytics team, and help BARK drive improvements in performance by effectively applying statistics, math, and machine learning to BARK’s unique business, product, and technology challenges. Here are the main projects we envision you working on:
- Building recommender systems for dogs
- Designing experiments and applying appropriate statistical inference methods to interpret historical data and drive decision-making
- Optimization of box kit creation for subscriptions
- Simulation and modeling of churn, revenue, and engagement
In addition, you’ll work with Data Engineers, Data Analysts, Product Managers, and fellow Data Scientists on a close-knit team. You’ll be trusted to provide expertise, organize and summarize insights and results for business partners, and collaborate throughout the organization as needed.
- Advanced degree (Master of Science or Engineering, or Ph.D.) in Machine Learning, Computer Science, Statistics, Math, or Engineering *OR* 6+ years experience as a full-time Data Scientist / ML Engineer
- Excellent academic track record
- 2+ years of experience applying machine learning in a full-time role
- 4+ years of experience writing code, 2+ years in Python
- Experience building recommender systems and applying inferential statistics
- Experience actively contributing to a production codebase
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Passion for learning and proven ability to deliver high-value data science projects
- Strong data manipulation skills with multiple data sources and high dimensionality
- Comfortable with version control, relational databases, big data tools, AWS, and visualization libraries
These are not prerequisites, but here are some things that would stand out to us:
- Strong competency in SQL
- Skilled in presenting and visualizing results for a business audience
- Knowledge of NLP technologies and algorithms
- Data science experience with consumer goods data and/or subscription services
- Experience working in a startup environment
- Contributions to research papers or open source libraries
- A passion for dogs and for using your skills to make them and their people happy
This position is a full-time, salaried position. It is located on-site at our office in New York, NY. We offer health insurance for both you and your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, unlimited PTO and a dog to pet anytime you wish.
There are 80 million dogs in the US. Not all of them have their own BarkBox subscriptions…yet. But you can help. BarkBox is hiring, and employees get a spot in their sunny new office and health insurance for employee and pup (no joke).
Be a Better BarkBox Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BarkBox when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BarkBox? Visit BarkBox's website.
Jobs You May Like
Technical Support Engineer (Denver)
Checkr, San Francisco
Senior DevOps Engineer
Software Developer Intern
Dahmakan, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Tech - Junior Data Engineer
Exiger, London, UK
Engineering Project Manager
HealthTap, Mountain View, CA
Senior Android Engineer
Instacart, San Francisco, CA