BARK is a company building products, experiences, and entertainment for dogs and the people who love them. The lasting brand that Disney has built for kids and families, BARK is building for the fast-growing market of dog people.
Our ambition-level is high, the opportunity is huge, and our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly themed subscription of all-natural treats and clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 50 million toys and treats to the dogs across the world and use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives and ways to make dogs happier.
But what kind of company is BARK? It's a company that has gone to the dogs. We are committed to a culture that is open, inclusive, generous, and enthusiastic — just like our pups. United by this dog-obsession, we embrace diversity of all stripes and spots. If your camera roll is 90% pictures of your dog, you belong here.
At BARK, we know that dogs aren't pets; they're family. Our people – crazy dog people – believe that their dogs deserve the best. The best treats, the best toys, the best seat on the couch. Together, we're driven to be the people our dogs think we are.
WHO WE’RE SNIFFIN’ FOR:
We’re sniffing around for a UX/UI Product Designer (Mid-level) in our New York City office. BARK is a fast-growing business for people who absolutely love dogs. As a Product Designer at Bark, you will use your expertise to help evolve the user experience and product vision for our existing and future product lines.
- Be responsible for the UX and UI design for our digital products that sell, promote, and support our physical products, and the full holistic customer experience - from exploration research, prototyping, to pixel-level developer handoff
- Work hand-in-hand with Product and Engineering to understand our customers through research and best practice industry knowledge to de-risk new features and releases, then iterate on designs to learn and improve our customer experiences
- Collaboratively define user-centered problem statements and outline product principles to help guide design decision-making
- Collaborate on and execute quick rounds of user testing to validate hypotheses that drive product decisions (interviews, moderated and/or unmoderated usability tests, surveys and screener creation)
- Conceptualize and design solutions that meet/exceed strategic objectives from various departments (marketing, platform, growth, margin, retail, etc.)
- Lead creative user-centered vision for the product while producing excellent pixel-level design deliverables for development handoffs
- Collaborate on growing our evolving design system across different product verticals with the rest of the Product Design team members as well as the Engineering team/s
- Contribute to the design culture through thought leadership and collaboration
- At least 3+ years experience working as a UI/UX designer
- Superior verbal and written communication skills are a must (articulating design decisions, evangelizing design thinking, soft-skill team collaboration skills for cross functional teams, etc.)
- Proficient in commonly used visual design and prototyping tools such as Sketch, Invision, Abstract, Figma, etc.
- Keen understanding of typography, color, graphics, and digital layout
- Strong portfolio including examples of user-centered design thinking, iteration, and evangelism
- First-hand experience planning and executing rounds of user testing (screener and survey development, plus problem space interviews and usability tests)
- Understanding of best, leanest ways to de-risk products before shipping with different types of testing, avoiding as much research bias as possible
- Must be head over heels nuts for dogs!
- Experience with e-commerce and digital marketing is a plus
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, fluid environment, handling a variety of assignments and technologies
- Understanding of best design practices for WCAG compliance for Accessibility
- Confidence to bring new tools and fresh ways of thinking to the table
- Ability to understand when big swings vs. small iterations will move the needle in improving our customer experiences
- Able to determine the best tools for hypothesis validation, understanding the appropriate level of fidelity for prototypes for what needs to be learned
- Expert ability to adapt to quickly changing priorities
- Did we mention the whole ‘loving dogs’ thing? You should be just as crazy as we are about dogs!
This position is a full-time, salaried position. It is located on-site at our office in New York, NY. We offer health insurance for both you and your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, and dogs to pet anytime you wish.
There are 80 million dogs in the US. Not all of them have their own BarkBox subscriptions…yet. But you can help. BarkBox is hiring, and employees get a spot in their sunny new office and health insurance for employee and pup (no joke).
Be a Better BarkBox Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BarkBox when you watch classes taught by their top employees.