We are looking for a “paws-on” Corporate Controller to report to the CFO and be responsible for the overall accounting function within the company. They will assess, improve and implement accounting policies, procedures and controls to ensure the integrity, timeliness, and consistency of financial statements, as well as compliance with appropriate tax, regulatory and accounting standards such as Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and in the future the SEC and other appropriate exchange requirements. He or She needs to have the ability to assess control issues across the organization and implement a comprehensive set of controls designed to mitigate risk and enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results.
- Corporate Accounting: Direct all day-to-day technical and financial accounting activities and functions of the company, including timely, accurate, and consistent monthly financial reporting, consolidation and closing processes, including reconciliation of various financial statement accounts. Assess and optimize accounting processes to increase the efficiency while establishing/maintaining an effective internal control structure, with self-audit procedures that will ensure the consistent application of accounting policies. More specifically:
- Overall ownership of the monthly, quarterly and year-end close process to ensure timely, accurate, and consistent issuance of financial statements
- Lead annual audit and quarterly reviews. Develop and execute a comprehensive audit plan that is responsive to the financial, compliance and operational risks of the company, and allows for optimal reliance by external auditors. Ensure the audit process is utilized in identifying control weakness and developing and implementing recommendations.
- Work with Senior Manager to manage all accounting operations including Billing, A/R, A/P, P/R and GL
- Proactively manage Revenue Recognition and order-to-pay process
- Research and provide technical accounting guidance as needed along with appropriate documentation, as necessary
- Oversight of inventory management and reporting
- External Reporting: Lead the company’s external reporting in accordance with GAAP, and to meet the needs of outside shareholders, lenders, and regulators.
- Internal Control: Assess the effectiveness of the company’s processes and internal control structure and develop and implement recommendations that improve the effectiveness, efficiency and economic value of a control or process. Initial focus should be on the revenue recognition process (from transaction through balance sheet reconciliation).
- Cash Management: Supervise cash management activities, with a focus on continuous improvement of working capital. Develop and maintain short-term tactical cash forecast.
- Tax Management: Manage and comply with local, state and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings, working with external tax advisor.
Shared and cross functional responsibilities include:
- Systems Implementation: Partner with technology team to ensure successful implementation and maintenance of NetSuite. Help with the selection and implementation processes for additional systems.
- Risk Management: Develop and maintain audit standards and methodology for assessing business risk in conjunction with organization of controls. Partner with General Counsel and others on appropriate risk mitigation strategies
- Development of the Accounting Organization: Optimize the capabilities of the accounting organization. Lead a cohesive team that continues to enjoy their work and are motivated to do well.
- Compliance: Review the Company’s compliance policies and procedures and work with General Counsel to develop, initiate, maintain and revise compliance policies designed to prevent illegal or unethical conduct in the identified risk areas.
- Payroll: Manage payroll and assist in ad-hoc HR issues, as necessary. Seek to upgrade processes and controls.
- Insurance: Work with General Counsel in managing insurance administration and the renewal process.
- Business improvement: Partner with department heads on business improvement opportunities
- Develop relationships across the organization: The successful candidate will need to understand the needs of each function and reinforce a client service orientation for the finance organization. The challenge will be to help install processes and controls without negatively impacting a strong entrepreneurial culture.
- Bachelor’s Degree and CPA required;
- 8+ years experience, with both accounting services firm(s) and operating companies
- Increasing responsibility including experience as a controller
- Strong accounting technical knowledge (e.g. revenue recognition, stock compensation)
- Strong organization, attention to detail, follow through, and communication (verbal and written) skills
- Love of dogs and their people
- Mix of public and private company experience; any mergers and acquisition experience
- System implementation experience
- Consumer and manufacturing industry experience
- Crazy love of dogs and their people
- Internal drive to learn and to take initiative to pursue opportunities that improve processes/functions/systems and solve/resolve problems.
- Personable, team player and with ability to work with all types of people and employees
- Ability to work independently and get things done, as well as collaboratively in a team and cross functionally
BARK is, literally, for the dogs. We are obsessed with making dogs (and the people who love them) happy. If that means giving belly scratches until we get carpal tunnel or having meetings with dogs on our laps, that’s cool. We are one of the leading brands in the ‘dog market’ after only 4 years and are the largest non-food subscription company in the pet space. Bark is backed by August Capital, RRE Ventures, Resolute Ventures, and Founders’ Circle Capital and our executives come from MeetUp, Uber, MTV, Jack Threads, and AmEx just to name a few.
At Bark<, our vision is to be available to serve dogs and their people everywhere that is convenient for them, with the best products, entertainment, advice, and service available. When people think Dog, we want them thinking Bark<. We are the experts, the innovators, the voice, and the caretakers for dogs everywhere.
While BarkBox is most well-known, Bark< is more than a subscription company and a products company. Bark< is proud crazy dog people, creating a brand for a generation of people who love their dogs like children. With BarkBox, BarkShop, and our content, we are innovating with our product design, with our experiences, and with how we engage our community. With every touch point, every interaction, every toy, and every treat, we are the experts in dog fun. Lastly, we are founded and led by entrepreneurs and continue to work in an entrepreneurial culture in spite of our scale.
Some more about Bark & Co.
- 400,000+ BarkBox subscribers monthly and growing.
- 350,000 monthly BarkShop visitors.
- BarkHappy (our consumer relations team) not only provides industry leading customer service, but proactive outreach to over 100,000 customers each month.
- Bark social and content platforms reach 35M+ people each month, led by our 6.2 million fans and followers across Facebook & Instagram.
There are 80 million dogs in the US. Not all of them have their own BarkBox subscriptions…yet. But you can help. BarkBox is hiring, and employees get a spot in their sunny new office and health insurance for employee and pup (no joke).
Be a Better BarkBox Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BarkBox when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BarkBox? Visit https://www.barkbox.com/
Jobs You May Like
Associate - Customer Service Financial Planning and Analysis
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Accounts Receivable (AR) Clerk
Weedmaps, Irvine, CA, United States
Global Trust & Safety Functional Manager
Airbnb, Dublin, Portland, or Singapore
Executive Assistant Business Partner
Pinterest, New York
Senior Financial Analyst, Sales Finance
Snap Inc., Chicago, IL
Trust and Safety Representative
Patreon, San Francisco