WHO ARE WE?
The Design team here at BARK is responsible for all creative work across toys and toy development. We're a diverse group of creatives coming from all sorts of backgrounds. We pride ourselves on being funny and innovative in order for us to create magical experiences for dogs and their people. We don't take ourselves too seriously, and love finding inspiration in unexpected places.
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
Do you love the idea of making dogs happy AND people laugh? Have you ever looked at a dog chewing on a stick and thought: “I could totally improve on that stick’s design, nature really phoned it in with that one”? If so, we want to hear from you! We’re looking for a designer interested in toys with a sense of humor, unending curiosity, and an obsession with dogs.
- Collaborate with the Design team to create fun and innovative dog toys across various mediums.
- Quickly generate ideas in 2D through sketching, rendering and digital applications.
- Participate in ideation and brainstorming sessions with diverse teams.
- Successfully present and communicate concepts to the design, merchandising and marketing teams.
- Conduct deep-dive market, trend and user research.
- Develop production-ready drawings and provide comments/feedback on samples direct from factories.
- Able to quickly understand how dogs play and behave and how people interact with them.
- 3+ years of design experience, preferably within toy design
- Proficiency in Illustrator and Photoshop required.
- No dog toy experience needed, but some experience with plush or textiles is highly preferred.
- CAD experience would be great!
- Proven ability to translate a design into three dimensions, as well as call out any necessary inner mechanisms.
- You understand how to communicate volume and character in a drawing, and have a portfolio that exhibits mastery in composition, color and silhouette.
- You have experience bringing a product from insight to design and production under your belt.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- You’re funny and have funny, appealing ideas (and drawing to prove it!)
- You’re comfortable being nit-picky to make sure quality is maintained throughout the process.
- You can communicate creative notes clearly.
- You like being part of a team and don’t cringe when getting creative feedback.
- You’re able to have fun and not take yourself too seriously.
- Seriously, you have to be legit funny. Our brand is funny. Dogs are funny. People when they talk to their dogs are funny. If you have a dog, record yourself talking to your pup sometime and then play it back - you’ll realize JUST how weird you get around them..
- Must love dogs (duh). We take cat people too, but ONLY if they think dogs rule and cats are wild aliens that have somehow conned their way into living with humans as ungrateful tenants.
This position is a full-time, salaried position. It is located on-site at our office in Manhattan, New York. We offer health insurance for both you and your pup, 401k, wonderful team lunches, and a dog to pet anytime you wish.
Here at BARK, we love dogs and their people. We’re looking to make all dogs happy throughout the entire world (we’re not kidding). Think Disney for dogs -- we make magic for dogs and their people through our products, events, and experiences.
Our ambition level is high, the opportunity is huge, and our love for dogs is through the roof! We launched in 2011 with BarkBox, a monthly-themed subscription of all-natural treats and clever toys. Since then, we've shipped more than 70 million toys and treats to the dogs across the world and use all of that direct customer feedback to inform new initiatives and ways to make magic between dogs and their people. We’ve since expanded into other offerings as well, as we aim to become THE Dog Company for every family with a four-legged, belly-scratch-loving, interspecies family member.
There are 80 million dogs in the US. Not all of them have their own BarkBox subscriptions…yet. But you can help. BarkBox is hiring, and employees get a spot in their sunny new office and health insurance for employee and pup (no joke).
Be a Better BarkBox Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at BarkBox when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about BarkBox? Visit BarkBox's website.
Great Prices. Better Cars. Shipped to You.